1 December: In a year, the 1st of December is the 335th day as per the Georgian Calendar. In a leap year, it is the 336th day of the year.
What special day is today?
Many great personalities like Soviet marshal Georgy Zhukov, American actor Woody Allen and Indian playback singer Udit Narayan were born on this date.
Similarly, Henry I (King of England), Jovan Belcher (American football player), and Peter Bronfman (Canadian businessman) died on this date.
The day is also observed as World AIDS Day.
Let’s explore what happened today!
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 1 December
Art & Artists
- 1761 – Marie Tussaud who established Madame Tussaud’s Museum was born in France. The museum houses wax figures of noted personalities from around the world.
- 1822 – At the age of 11, Franz Liszt gave his first appearance as a pianist in Vienna. Later, he became a highly acclaimed composer.
Science & Technology
- 1959 – Twelve countries signed the Antarctic Treaty and agreed to make the southern continent free from militarization. They decided to preserve Antarctica for scientific research.
Leaders & Politics
- 1878 – Rutherford B. Hayes, the president of the US got the first telephone installed in the official residence and workplace i.e. the White House.
- 1988 – Benazir Bhutto became the first ever woman Prime Minister of an Islamic country (Pakistan).
People & Society
- 1913 – Latin America’s first underground railway system “the Buenos Aires Metro” started its operation. It was the first such railway system in the Southern Hemisphere as well.
Disasters: Natural & Man-made
- 1958 – A fire incident at the Our Lady of the Angels School located in Chicago, Canada took the lives of 3 nuns and 92 children.
- 1974 – All onboard passengers were killed when a Boeing 727 (TWA Flight 514) crashed near Dulles International Airport, Washington Dulles, the US.
Discoveries & Explorations
- 2000 – Launch of STS-97 by NASA. It was NASA’s 101stSpace Shuttle mission.
- 2020 – A partial collapse of the Arecibo Telescope happened on this day.
Leisure & Sports
- 1653 – It was reported that a Croydonian athlete took less than 90 minutes to the 20 miles race between St Albans and London.
- 1947 – Australia beat India in Brisbane by an innings & 226 runs in the first-ever test cricket match held between them. The highlights of the match were the dismissal of India for 58 runs, 185 run innings by Australian batsman Sir Don Bradman, and a five-wicket haul by Ernie Toshack giving only 2 runs (off 2.3 overs).
Birth Anniversaries (1 December)
- 1884 – Karl Schmidt-Rottluff (German artist)
- 1896 – Georgy Zhukov (Soviet marshal)
- 1935 – Woody Allen (Actor-director from America)
- 1955 – Udit Narayan (Indian playback singer)
- 1962 – Sylvie Daigle (Canadian speed skater)
Death Anniversaries (1 December)
- 1135 – Henry I (King of England)
- 1825 – Alexander I (Russia)
- 1996 – Peter Bronfman (Canadian businessman)
- 2012 – Jovan Belcher (American football player)
- 2019 – Paula Tilbrook (English actress)
What Special Day is Today: (1 December)
- World AIDS Day
- Teachers’ Day (Panama)
- Great Union Day (Romania)
- Self-governance Day (Iceland)
- Military Abolition Day (Costa Rica)
- Freedom and Democracy Day (Chad)
- Restoration of Independence Day (Portugal)
The fact-based amazing story of the day (1 December) covers the entire world and a lot of well-known personalities.
The day has remained a silent observer of what happened on this day in history.
We always try to provide you with authentic and unique facts and figures.
If you have any comments on the article then just share that with us. We promise to continue serving you even better.
On This Day:
31 December | 30 December | 29 December | 28 December | 27 December | 26 December | 25 December | 24 December | 23 December | 22 December | 21 December | 20 December | 19 December | 18 December | 17 December | 16 December | 15 December | 14 December | 13 December | 12 December | 11 December | 10 December | 9 December | 8 December | 7 December | 6 December | 5 December | 4 December | 3 December | 2 December