1 March: As we step into the first day of March, we bring to you some amazing information on what happened on this day in history.
In case you are celebrating your birthday today, you will be surprised to know with whom you are sharing your birthday with.
So, let’s unwrap to see what special day is today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 1 March
- 1565 – Portuguese soldier Estácio de Sá founded the city of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on this day.
- 1872 – Yellowstone National Park, situated in the western United States was established on this day. It became the world’s first national park and was designated a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1978.
Peace and Justice
- 1875 – Republicans in the U.S. Congress passed the last of the Force Acts, which protected the constitutional rights of Blacks.
- 1919 – Protesters in Seoul launched the March First Movement, a series of demonstrations for Korean national independence from Japan.
- 1932 – Aviator Charles Lindbergh’s son was kidnapped; the toddler’s abduction and death was one of the most publicized crimes of the century.
- 1961 – The Peace Corps was established by U.S. President John F. Kennedy by means of his Peace Corps Act.
- 2005 – In a major capital punishment case, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that it was unconstitutional to execute convicts who were under age 18 at the time of their crimes.
Science and Technology
- 1896 – Henri Becquerel discovered radioactivity. The French physicist made his groundbreaking discovery while trying to prove his erroneous theory that phosphorescent uranium salts absorb sunlight and reemit it as X-rays.
- 1995 – Internet giant Yahoo! was incorporated. The company was founded in January 1994 as Jerry’s guide to the World Wide Web by Jerry Yang and David Filo.
Art and Finance
- 1890 – 1st US edition of Sherlock Holmes’ first story “A Study in Scarlet” by Arthur Conan Doyle was released.
- 1947 – The International Monetary Fund (IMF) started its financial operations from this day.
- 1998 – Titanic becomes the first film to gross over $1 billion. James Cameron’s epic account of the sinking of the Titanic had a budget of $200 million and grossed over $2 billion in the end.
Birth Anniversaries (1 March)
- 1810 – Frédéric Chopin, a Polish French composer and pianist of the Romantic period was born.
- 1858 – Georg Simmel, German sociologist and Neo-Kantian philosopher was born on this day.
- 1910 – British actor David Niven was born on this day. He was the winner of the Academy Award for Best Actor (1958) for his performance as ‘Major David Angus Pollock’ in American drama film ‘Separate Tables’.
- 1922 – Israeli statesman and soldier Yitzhak Rabin—who, as prime minister of Israel, engaged in peace negotiations with the Palestinians, for which he won a share of the 1994 Nobel Prize for Peace—was born.
Death Anniversaries (1 March)
- 1510 – Francisco de Almeida, who was a soldier, explorer, and the first viceroy of Portuguese India died on this day.
- 1633 – George Herbert, English religious poet, a major metaphysical poet, notable for the purity and effectiveness of his choice of words died on this day.
- 1768 – Hermann Samuel Reimarus, German philosopher and man of letters of the Enlightenment who is remembered for his Deism, died on March 1.
- 1792 – Leopold II, Holy Roman emperor from 1790 to 1792, one of the most capable of the 18th-century reformist rulers known as the “enlightened despots” died on March 1.
- 1929 – Wilhelm von Bode, art critic and museum director who helped bring Berlin’s museums to a position of worldwide eminence, died on this day.
- 2014 – French film director Alain Resnais—who was a leader of the New Wave of unorthodox influential movie directors in France in the late 1950s—died at age 91.
- 2019 – Zhores Ivanovich Alfyorov, Soviet physicist who, with Herbert Kroemer and Jack S. Kilby, was awarded the Nobel Prize for Physics in 2000 for their work that laid the foundation for the modern era of computers and information technology, died on this day.
What Special Day is Today: 1 March
- World Civil Defence Day is celebrated worldwide to emphasize the importance of civil protection and to pay tribute to the sacrifices, efforts and accomplishments for services provided during disasters.
- Zero Discrimination Day is celebrated to spread awareness and uphold the values of equality.
- World Compliment Day is celebrated worldwide. Make sure you compliment someone today.
- National Fruit Compote Day and National Pig Day is observed on March 1 in United States.
We hope you have found out what special day is today. On this day in history (March 1) there have been stories of hope, revolution, innovation and reforms. May this day be as special and great for all of you.
If you have any interesting facts to share or anything to add to the above list, please share it in the comments. We would love to hear from you.
On This Day:
31 March | 30 March | 29 March | 28 March | 27 March | 26 March | 25 March | 24 March | 23 March | 22 March | 21 March | 20 March | 19 March | 18 March | 17 March | 16 March | 15 March | 14 March | 13 March | 12 March | 11 March | 10 March | 9 March | 8 March | 7 March | 6 March | 5 March | 4 March | 3 March | 2 March