1 November: In a year, 1st November is the 305th day as per the Georgian Calendar. In a leap year, it is the 306th day of the year. This day has its uniqueness and significance in history.
Let’s explore people who have carved a niche for them on 1st November. We may also need to scan through the events that happened on this day.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 1 November
Art & Artists
- 1512 – Michelangelo’s ceiling painting in the Sistine Chapel opened for the first public exhibition.
- 1604 – The tragic play Othello, written by William Shakespeare was performed at Whitehall Palace (London) for the first time.
- 1997 – The maiden public screening of the movie Titanic at the International Film Festival held in Tokyo.
Science & Technology
Leaders & Politics
People & Society
Disasters: Natural & Man-Made
- 1570 – The Dutch coast was devastated by the All Saints’ Flood.
- 1755 – A gigantic earthquake and resultant tsunami fully destroyed Lisbon city (Portugal).
Travel & Explorations
Leisure & Sports
- 1897 – Juventus F.C., the prestigious Italian sports club was founded by a bunch of students.
- 1953 – Emile Zatopek, the Czech runner sets a new world record in the 10,000m event (timing:-29:01.6).
Birth Anniversaries (1 November)
- 1880 – Alfred Wegener, the propounder of the continental drift hypothesis was a world-famous geophysicist, climatologist, and meteorologist from Germany.
- 1963 – Nita Ambani is an Indian philanthropist and the wife of Mukesh Ambani. She is the owner of the IPL cricket team Mumbai Indians.
- 1973 – Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, the Miss World is an influential celebrity from India who is known for her archetypal beauty and Bollywood acting.
- 1974 – V.V.S. Laxman, a great Indian international cricketer was known for his stylish stroke play.
Death Anniversaries (1 November)
- 1700 – Charles II of Spain, the Spanish Empire’s last Habsburg monarch was best known for his physical incapability.
- 1972 – Ezra Pound, from the USA, was a reputed poet and literary critic.
- 1996 – R. Jayewardene was a Sri Lankan leader and lawyer…served both as a Prime Minister and as a President.
- 2007 – S. Ali Raza, a celebrity Bollywood director, and scriptwriter
- 2015 – Fred Thompson was an American politician and actor.
What Special Day is Today: (1 November)
- World Vegan Day
- International Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome Awareness Day
- All Saints’ Day (a holy day of obligation for Catholic believers)
- Independence Day of Barbuda and Antigua
- Kerala Day, Karnataka Rajyotsava, and Chhattisgarh Rajyotsava
- Chavang Kut (harvest festival in Mizoram, Myanmar, Bangladesh, etc.)
1st November is indeed a unique day full of great feats, explorations, tragic moments, and moments of triumph & glory. This day has witnessed great moments and events created by the interplay of space and time on the global canvas. Which information was close to your heart and brain?
We are eager to hear from you. So take a moment to comment on the articles. You are encouraged to share interesting facts and figures that you have with you.
On This Day:
30 November | 29 November | 28 November | 27 November | 26 November | 25 November | 24 November | 23 November | 22 November | 21 November | 20 November | 19 November | 18 November | 17 November | 16 November | 15 November | 14 November | 13 November | 12 November | 11 November | 10 November | 9 November | 8 November | 7 November | 6 November | 5 November | 4 November | 3 November | 2 November