10 December: In a year, the 10th of December is the 344th day as per the Georgian Calendar. In a leap year, it is the 345th day of the year.
What special day is today?
On this day, the UN signed the Human Rights Convention, Nobel Prize was given for the first time, and the space shuttle “Endeavour” fixed Hubble Space Telescope.
Famous birthdays include Emily Dickinson, Olivier Messiaen, and C. Rajagopalachari.
December 10 also marks Human Rights Day (International).
Let’s explore what happened today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 10 December
Art & Artists
- 1884 – The publication of “Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” (in the UK & Canada), a classic novel authored by the American writer Mark Twain.
- 1962 – The world premiere of “Lawrence of Arabia”, the Peter O’Toole starred British historical movie.
Science & Technology
- 1815 – Ada Lovelace was known as the world’s first computer programmer. The English mathematician was born on this day.
- 1948 – The United Nations (UN) signed the Human Rights Convention.
Leaders & Politics
- 1932 – Thailand adopted constitutional monarchy on this day.
- 1982 – The Law of the Sea, a treaty that generally connected with a global treaty UNCLOS (the Convention on the Law of the Sea) was signed by 117 nations.
People & Society
- 1768 – The beginning of the publication of the Encyclopædia Britannica in Edinburgh, Scotland.
- 1901 – Nobel Prize was given for the first time on the 5th death anniversary of Alfred Nobel. A prize-giving ceremony was organized in Stockholm, Sweden.
- 1968 – Japan’s biggest armed robbery was carried out and 300 million yen was ransacked in Tokyo.
Disasters: Natural & Man-made
- 2005 – Crash of Sosoliso Airlines Flight 1145 crashes at Port Harcourt International Airport in Nigeria which killed 108.
- 2021 – An extensive, fatal, and aggressive tornado outbreak hit the United States (the Central, Midwestern, and Southern regions) that killed 89 people.
Discoveries & Explorations
- 1984 – The deployment of the crew of “Endeavour“, the youngest space shuttle of NASA.
- 1993 – The crew of the space shuttle “Endeavour” fixed the Hubble Space Telescope that is orbiting Earth at a distance of 332 miles (535 km).
Leisure & Sports
- 1831 – The launch of the much-illustrated sports journal “Spirit of the Times“ in New York City.
- 1986 – Ivan Lendl beat (6–4, 6–4, 6–4) Boris Becker to win ATP Masters Grand Prix tennis titles in New York.
Birth Anniversaries (10 December)
- 1804 – Carl Jacobi (German Mathematician)
- 1830 – Emily Dickinson (American poet)
- 1878 – C. Rajagopalachari (Indian lawyer and politician)
- 1908 – Olivier Messiaen (French composer)
- 1960 – Kenneth Branagh (Actor-director from Britain)
Death Anniversaries (10 December)
- 1865 – Leopold I (King of Belgium)
- 1896 – Alfred Nobel (Scientist-Inventor from Sweden)
- 1936 – Luigi Pirandello (Italian Author)
- 1968 – Karl Barth (Swiss Theologian)
- 2001 – Ashok Kumar (Indian actor-producer-singer)
- 2006 – Augusto Pinochet (General and dictator from Chile)
- 2015 – Denis Héroux (Director-producer from Canada)
What Special Day is Today: (10 December)
- International Human Rights Day
- Alfred Nobel Day (Sweden)
- Constitution Day (Thailand)
The day (10 December) is not just another day. Every day is different, unique, and important.
The above content reinforces this quite clearly. Many vital events of human history happened on this day in history.
The day has also witnessed the rise and fall of numerous renowned personalities.
We assure to present you with top-quality content. We just need your own open comment on it.
On This Day:
31 December | 30 December | 29 December | 28 December | 27 December | 26 December | 25 December | 24 December | 23 December | 22 December | 21 December | 20 December | 19 December | 18 December | 17 December | 16 December | 15 December | 14 December | 13 December | 12 December | 11 December | 9 December | 8 December | 7 December | 6 December | 5 December | 4 December | 3 December | 2 December | 1 December