10 March: Wondering what happened on this day in history?
It has been noted for some of the prominent turns in the history of war and independence and if you are celebrating your birthday, you will be surprised to know what special day is today and with whom you share it.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 10 March
War and Justice
- 1917 – British troops took control of Baghdad forcing the Turkish troops to evacuate.
- 1945 – World War II Tokyo Firebombed by B-29 fighter planes.
- 1959 – Tibetan rebels revolted against Chinese control by surrounding the summer palace of the Dalai Lama to protect him but he was forced to flee to India where he was granted political asylum.
- 1969 – James Earl Ray pleaded guilty of the crime of assassinating Martin Luther King Jr., a major civil rights leader of the times who was killed on April 4th, 1968. Ray was sentenced to 99 years in prison.
- 1975 – The city of Ban Me Thuot was seized by North Vietnamese troops.
- 1917 – A deadly earthquake magnitude of 6.3 at Long Beach, California.
- 1988 – An avalanche hit the British royal party including Prince Charles.
- 2014 – North Korean leader Kim Jong-un was unanimously elected to the North Korean parliament in his district.
- 1876 – The first telephone call was made. Alexander Graham Bell transmitted the words “Mr. Watson, come here — I want to see you” to his assistant, Thomas A. Watson, who was in the next-door room.
- 2012 – Coke and Pepsi have altered their formulas slightly in order to avoid having to place a cancer warning label on bottles of their products.
Birth Anniversaries (10 March)
- 1903 – Bix Beiderbecke, American pianist and composer.
- 1940 – Chuck Norris, American actor and martial artist.
- 1952 – Morgan Tsvangirai, Zimbabwean politician and the 2nd Prime Minister of Zimbabwe.
- 1957 – Osama bin Laden, Saudi Arabian terrorist who founded al-Qaeda.
Death Anniversaries (10 March)
- 1897 – Savitribai Phule, Indian social reformer and educationalist.
- 1913 – Harriet Tubman, American nurse and activist.
- 1948 – Zelda Fitzgerald, American author Zelda Sayre, more popularly known as Zelda Fitzgerald, was an incredibly popular ’20s flapper, writer and celebrity. One of her famous lines goes like this,
“I am really only myself when I’m somebody else whom I have endowed with these wonderful qualities from my imagination.”
― Zelda Fitzgerald, ‘Save Me The Waltz: A Novel’.
- 1988 – Andy Gibb, English songwriter, singer and actor.
- 1992 – Giorgos Zampetas, Greek bouzouki player and songwriter.
- 1999 – Vishnu Vāman Shirwādkar (popularily known as Kusumagraj), Indian Poet, Playwright and Novelist.
- 2012 – Jean Giraud, French author and illustrator.
What Special Day is Today: 10 March
- International Bagpipe Day
- International Day of Awesomeness
- World Kidney Day – March 9, 2023 (Second Thursday in March)
- National Women and Girls HIV/AIDS Awareness Day – USA
- The Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) Raising Day – India
We hope this article was interesting and you found out what special day is today. This day has been a notable one for war and revolution and also for people. We wish you all an amazing day ahead too.
If you have any interesting fact to share or anything to add to the above list, please share it in the comments. We would love to hear from you.
On This Day:
31 March | 30 March | 29 March | 28 March | 27 March | 26 March | 25 March | 24 March | 23 March | 22 March | 21 March | 20 March | 19 March | 18 March | 17 March | 16 March | 15 March | 14 March | 13 March | 12 March | 11 March | 9 March | 8 March | 7 March | 6 March | 5 March | 4 March | 3 March | 2 March | 1 March