11 December: In a year, the 11th of December is the 345th day as per the Gregorian Calendar. In a leap year, it is the 346th day of the year.
What special day is today?
On this day, the first transatlantic radio signal was transmitted; the approval of the world’s first COVID-19 vaccine; and about 900 civilians were killed by El Salvador’s armed forces.
Famous birthdays include Pranab Mukherjee, Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, and John Kerry.
December 11 also marks International Mountain Day.
Let’s explore what happened today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 11 December
Art & Artists
- 1911 – Naguib Mahfouz, the Egyptian novelist and screenplay writer, and Nobel laureate (literature) were born in Cairo on this day. He was the first Egyptian Arabic to get the prize.
- 1967 – The premiere of “Guess who’s coming to Dinner”, the much-celebrated American movie in New York City. The movie was based on racial acceptance and manners.
Science & Technology
- 1901 – the first transatlantic radio signal was transmitted from England (Poldhu, Cornwall) to Newfoundland (St. John’s) by Guglielmo Marconi.
- 2020 – The approval of the world’s first COVID-19 vaccine (the Pfizer–BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine) in the USA.
Leaders & Politics
- 1991 – Invasion of Chechnya by the Russian army to repress a Dzhokhar Dudayev-led dissenter Chechen government.
- 1997 – Opening of the Kyoto Protocol for signature.
- 2001 – China finally became a member of the WTO (the World Trade Organization).
People & Society
- 1934 – Bill Wilson had his last drink before entering a hospital for his ultimate treatment. He was the co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous in America which works for the betterment of alcoholics.
- 1946 – The establishment of UNICEF (United Nations Children’s Fund) in New York, the US.
Disasters: Natural & Man-made
- 1981 – Approximately 900 civilians were killed by El Salvador’s armed forces in an anti-guerrilla campaign. The incident happened during the Salvadoran Civil War.
- 1998 – Approximately 101 people died in the crash of Thai Airways Flight 261 (an Airbus A310-200) near Surat Thani Airport.
Discoveries & Explorations
- 1900 – Ronald McFeely got a patent for his innovation – a shoemaking machine.
- 1972 – Eugene Cernan and Harrison Schmitt, the Apollo 17 astronauts, became the last human beings to walk on our satellite Moon. It was the ultimate Apollo mission to land on Moon.
Leisure & Sports
- 1981 – Muhammad Ali entered the ring for the last fight of his career. He was beaten by Trevor Berbick in the boxing match.
- 2009 – The release of the popular mobile-phone game Angry Birds globally on the operating system – iOS. The game was developed by Rovio Entertainment, a Finnish game developer.
Birth Anniversaries (11 December)
- 1918 – Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn (Russian author)
- 1922 – Dilip Kumar (Indian actor)
- 1931 – Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh (Spiritual leader from India)
- 1935 – Pranab Mukherjee (13th President of India)
- 1943 – John Kerry (United States senator and secretary of state)
- 1969 – Viswanathan Anand (Indian chess Grandmaster)
Death Anniversaries (11 December)
- 2012 – Ravi Shankar (Indian Musician And Composer)
- 2013 – Barbara Branden (Canadian-American author)
- 2015 – John “Hot Rod” Williams (Basketball player from America)
- 2021 – Anne Rice (American Author)
What Special Day is Today: (11 December)
- International Mountain Day
- Indiana Day (United States)
- Republic Day (Burkina Faso)
- National Tango Day (Argentina)
- Pampanga Day (Pampanga province, Philippines)
The facts and figures of the day (11 December) unearth various vital events that occurred on this day in history.
The day has also seen the “snake-ladder game” happening in the lives of reputed people.
Proving good content requires your regular feedback. So, take a couple of minutes to comment on this article.
On This Day:
31 December | 30 December | 29 December | 28 December | 27 December | 26 December | 25 December | 24 December | 23 December | 22 December | 21 December | 20 December | 19 December | 18 December | 17 December | 16 December | 15 December | 14 December | 13 December | 12 December | 10 December | 9 December | 8 December | 7 December | 6 December | 5 December | 4 December | 3 December | 2 December | 1 December