11 February: Did you wake up this morning and wonder what special day is today?
Indeed, it is a special one because, on this day in history, on 11th February, many interesting things happened. Check them out here!
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 11 February
- In 1753, the first hospital of the United States, Pennsylvania hospital, started admitting patients on this day.
- In 1975, Margaret Thatcher replaced Edward Heath and became the leader of the Conservative Party in Britain.
- In 1989, Barbara Harris was given the title of the First Female Bishop.
- In 2011, President Hosni Mubarak of Egypt stepped down after the famous mass demonstrations known as Arab Spring.
Birth Anniversaries (11 February)
- In 1847, the famous inventor Thomas Edison was born.
- In 1904, the 26th prime minister of New Zealand, Keith Holyoake was born.
- In 1917, the famous Indian revolutionary T. Nagi Reddy was born.
- In 1920, the fighter pilot, Daniel James Jr. was born on this day. He was the first African American who became a four star general in the history of the United States Armed Forces.
- In 1964, Sarah Palin, the first woman Republican presidential candidate in the US elections, was born.
- In 1969, Jennifer Aniston, a famous TV actress and movie star, was born.
Death Anniversaries (11 February)
- In 1650, French philosopher René Descartes who is often regarded as the father of modern philosophy, died on this day.
- In 1977, the 5th president of India, Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed died.
- In 1994, William Conrad, the famous American director, producer, and actor, died.
- In 2012, the renowned pop star Whitney Houston died at 48.
- In 2015, the prominent American journalist Bob Simon died on this day.
- In 2018, Vic Damone, the famous American singer, actor, and songwriter, died on this day.
What Special Day is Today: 11 February
- Promise Day is celebrated worldwide as a part of Valentine’s Day week.
- International Day of Women & Girls in Science is celebrated around the world.
- World Day of the Sick is celebrated around the world.
- Grandmother Achievement Day is celebrated in the US.
As you can see, we have accumulated a cool list of things that happened on this day in history on 11th February. So, now your question about what special day is today is hopefully answered!
Do you know more such events that happened today? Please drop a comment and let us know!
On This Day:
28 February | 27 February | 26 February | 25 February | 24 February | 23 February | 22 February | 21 February | 20 February | 19 February | 18 February | 17 February | 16 February | 15 February | 14 February | 13 February | 12 February | 10 February | 9 February | 8 February | 7 February | 6 February | 5 February | 4 February | 3 February | 2 February | 1 February