11 March: Welcome back to another interesting series under, what happened on this day in history?
March 11 has been a day for some interesting debut and turn of events. Let’s unwrap to see what special day is today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 11 March
People, Pandemic and Places
- 1918 – First cases of one of the worst influenza epidemic in history were reported at Fort Riley, Kansas.
- 1931 – The work on the Boulder Dam was started.
- 1938 – This was the date that the Revenue Act of 1938 was passed.
- 1941 – U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed the Lend Lease Act.
- 1977 – U.S.A. Hostages Washington DC – 130 hostages held in Washington, D.C., by Hanafi Muslims were freed when ambassadors from three Islamic nations joined negotiations.
- 1990 – Lithuania became the first Soviet republic to declare its independence. The Baltic country’s secession marked an important step in the dissolution of the Soviet Union.
- 2020 – The World Health Organization (WHO) declared the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak a global pandemic.
- 1961 – Barbie counterpart Ken was launched.
- 1969 – Levi Jeans added the latest craze of jeans to their line of Jeans which had become fashionable as part of the hippie counterculture movement together with love beads, granny glasses, and tie-dye shirts.
Natural and Man-made Disasters
- 2004 – 191 people died as several bombs exploded on Madrid commuter trains. The bombings were conducted by an Islamist terrorist cell and came 3 days before Spain’s general elections.
- 2011 – 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake hit Japan triggering Fukushima Nuclear Disaster.
Birth Anniversaries (11 March)
- 1916 – Harold Wilson, English politician and former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
- 1926 – Ralph Abernathy, American civil rights activist.
- 1936 – Antonin Scalia, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States.
- 1952 – Douglas Adams, English author and playwright.
Death Anniversaries (11 March)
- 1874 – Charles Sumner, American politician.
- 1898 – William Rosecrans, American brigadier general and diplomat.
- 1955 – Alexander Fleming, Scottish scientist and Nobel Prize laureate. Sir Alexander Fleming remembered for his discovery of the drug penicillin dies in London of a heart attack.
- 1971 – Philo Farnsworth, American inventor who invented the Fusor.
- 2006 – Slobodan Milošević, Serbian politician and the 3rd President of Serbia, Montenegro.
What Special Day is Today: 11 March
- World Day of Muslim Culture, Peace, Dialogue and Film
- World Plumbing Day
- National Preschooler’s Day – March 11, 2022 (Second Friday in March)
- National Worship of Tools Day
We hope this article was interesting and you found out what special day is today. This day has been a notable one for humanity and revolution and also of people. We wish you all an amazing day ahead too.
If you have any interesting facts to share or anything to add to the above list, please share it in the comments. We would love to hear from you.
On This Day:
31 March | 30 March | 29 March | 28 March | 27 March | 26 March | 25 March | 24 March | 23 March | 22 March | 21 March | 20 March | 19 March | 18 March | 17 March | 16 March | 15 March | 14 March | 13 March | 12 March | 10 March | 9 March | 8 March | 7 March | 6 March | 5 March | 4 March | 3 March | 2 March | 1 March