12 December: In a year, the 12th of December is the 346th day as per the Georgian Calendar. In a leap year, it is the 347th day of the year.
What special day is today?
On this day, the first transatlantic radio signal was received by Guglielmo Marconi; the adoption of the Paris Agreement by the UN, and Kenya got its independence from Britain.
Famous birthdays include Frank Sinatra, Rajinikanth, Henry Armstrong, and Yuvraj Singh.
December 12 also marks Constitution Day in Russia.
Let’s explore what happened today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 12 December
Art & Artists
- 1977 – The world premiere of “Saturday Night Fever”, the popular music drama. The John Travolta starrer movie was a massive hit.
- 1999 – Joseph Heller, the American author who penned marvelous protest literature like Catch-22 (1961) died on this day.
Science & Technology
- 1901 – The first transatlantic radio signal was received by Guglielmo Marconi. The first signal was for the English alphabet “S” [***] in the form of Morse code.
- 2012 – The successful launch of “Kwangmyŏngsŏng-3 Unit 2” (the first satellite of the country) by North Korea.
Leaders & Politics
- 1915 – The Empire of China was established by Yuan Shikai who declared himself the Emperor.
- 1963 – Kenya got its independence from Britain on the same day.
- 2000 – The release of the decision of the United States Supreme Court in the Bush v. Gore case (recount row in the presidential election of 2000 in Florida).
People & Society
- 2015 – The adoption of the Paris Agreement which is related to an international environmental treaty – “United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change”.
- 2020 – The death of John le Carre, the English writer who was famous for thrilling, pragmatic secret-agent-novels.
Disasters: Natural & Man-made
- 1939 – HMS Duchess smashed with HMS Barham and sank near the Scotland coast that killed 124 men.
- 1979 – A high magnitude (8.2) earthquake trembled Colombia and Ecuador which killed 300–600.
Discoveries & Explorations
- 1961 – The first privately built satellite was put into orbit by Californian radio amateurs.
Leisure & Sports
- 1898 – NSW and Tasmania, the Australian states played their first-ever first-class cricket match.
- 2021 – Max Verstappen won the contentious 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix to become the first Dutch Formula One World Champion. He beat Lewis Hamilton, the 7-time World Champion to achieve this feat.
Birth Anniversaries (12 December)
- 1863 – Edvard Munch (Norwegian artist)
- 1912 – Henry Armstrong (American Boxer)
- 1915 – Frank Sinatra (Singer- actor from America)
- 1940 – Sharad Pawar (Indian Politician)
- 1950 – Rajinikanth (Indian actor)
- 1981 – Yuvraj Singh (Indian cricketer)
Death Anniversaries (12 December)
- 1889 – Robert Browning (British Poet)
- 1913 – Menilek II (Emperor of Ethiopia)
- 1968 – Tallulah Bankhead (American Actress)
- 1970 – Doris Blackburn (Australian politician)
- 1985 – Anne Baxter (American actress)
What Special Day is Today: (12 December)
- Constitution Day (Russia)
- Neutrality Day (Turkmenistan)
The day (12 December) is unique in many ways. The transformations, on this day, could be seen in the spheres of economy, politics, science, explorations, sports, inventions, etc.
The world has seen many miracles and misfortunes on this day in history. It is quite interesting, awful, and surprising.
We strive to cater to your need for quality content each day. Your feedback on the content matter a lot to us. So do write to us.
On This Day:
31 December | 30 December | 29 December | 28 December | 27 December | 26 December | 25 December | 24 December | 23 December | 22 December | 21 December | 20 December | 19 December | 18 December | 17 December | 16 December | 15 December | 14 December | 13 December | 11 December | 10 December | 9 December | 8 December | 7 December | 6 December | 5 December | 4 December | 3 December | 2 December | 1 December