12 March: Are you curious to find out what happened on this day in history?
Today has been a remarkable day in history. There have been revolutionary actions and art contributions.
So, let’s unwrap and see what special day is today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 12 March
People, War and Revolution
- 1928 – U.S.A. St. Francis Dam collapsed.
- 1930 – Mahatma Gandhi and his followers began a 200 mile march to the salt beds of Jalalpur.
- 1972 – Australia withdrew from Vietnam following other countries withdrawal and US commitment to leave Vietnam.
- 1980 – A jury found John Wayne Gacy guilty of the murders of 33 boys and young men.
- 1993 – A series of 13 bombs were exploded in Bombay’s financial district including the Bombay Stock Exchange, Air India offices and government offices, banks, cinemas, bazaars, two hospitals, a university and several hotels, leaving over 200 dead and 1,000 injured.
- 1994 – The ordination of women as priests in the Church of England began.
- 1894 – The sale of first Coca-Cola bottles began in 1894 in Vicksburg, Mississippi.
- 1912 – U.S.A. Girl Scouts of America was founded on this day.
- 1918 – Moscow became Russia’s capital city. St. Petersburg lost its status as the Russian capital following the Revolution of 1917, which destroyed the Tsarist autocracy.
Music and Movies
- 1939 – Artie Shaw and his band recorded the single “Deep Purple.” It goes on to become one of the big band’s biggest hits.
- 1987 – U.S.A. Les Miserables. Following its success in London’s West End, Les Miserables opened at the Broadway Theater in 1987, running till it closed on May 18, 2003.
Birth Anniversaries (12 March)
- 1836 – Isabella Beeton, English journalist, editor and writer.
- 1863 – Gabriele D’Annunzio, Italian poet, novelist, and playwright.
- 1864 – W. H. R. Rivers, English anthropologist, neurologist, ethnologist and psychiatrist.
- 1922 – Jack Kerouac, American author and poet.
- 1940 – Alwin Lopez Jarreau, American singer and musician.
Death Anniversaries (12 March)
- 1914 – George Westinghouse, American engineer and inventor.
- 1925 – Sun Yat-sen, Chinese revolutionary, politician and the 1st President of the Republic of China.
- 1955 – Charlie Parker, American saxophonist and composer.
- 1999 – Yehudi Menuhin, American/Swiss violinist and conductor.
- 2015 – Terry Pratchett, English author.
What Special Day is Today: 12 March
- World Day Against Cyber Censorship
- Girl Scouts Day – USA
- Mauritius Day – Mauritius
We hope this article fascinated you and to find out what special day is today.
This day has left some unforgettable stains on humanity but it was also a day of greater things. We wish you all an amazing day ahead too.
If you have any interesting facts to share or anything to add to the above list, please share it in the comments. We would love to hear from you.
On This Day:
31 March | 30 March | 29 March | 28 March | 27 March | 26 March | 25 March | 24 March | 23 March | 22 March | 21 March | 20 March | 19 March | 18 March | 17 March | 16 March | 15 March | 14 March | 13 March | 11 March | 10 March | 9 March | 8 March | 7 March | 6 March | 5 March | 4 March | 3 March | 2 March | 1 March