13 December: In a year, the 13th of December is the 347th day as per the Gregorian Calendar. In a leap year, it is the 348th day of the year.
What special day is today?
On this day, released of Anastasia in the theatres in America; The U.S. forces captured Saddam Hussein, the President of Iraq; Abel Tasman, and the Dutch navigator found New Zealand.
Famous birthdays include King Henry IV, Christopher Plummer, and Taylor Swift.
Let’s explore what happened today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 13 December
Art & Artists
- 1956 – The release of Anastasia in the theatres in America. An Academy Award was bagged by Ingrid Bergman for her scintillating performance in the film drama.
- 1957 – Lana Turner starrer Mark, Robson directed movie “Peyton Place“ released. It was based on Grace Metalious’s novel.
Science & Technology
- 1920 – The US started measuring a fixed star’s size for the first time.
- 1962 – Satellite Relay 1 was launched by NASA on this day. It was the very earliest active repeater communications that could be put into orbit.
Leaders & Politics
- 1921 – The United States, France, Japan, and Great Britain signed the Four-Power Pact at the Washington Conference. They agreed to consult with other signatories in case of any controversy between any two signatories over any issue related to the Pacific region.
- 2003 – The U.S. forces captured Saddam Hussein, the President of Iraq in the Iraq War. Later, the dictatorial Iraqi leader was executed on the ground of his crimes against humanity.
People & Society
- 2001 – A pre-planned attack on the Indian Parliament (Sansad Bhavan) was carried out by terrorists. Twelve people died (including the perpetrators) in the incident. The attackers belonged to Pakistan-raised terrorist outfits Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) and Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT).
Disasters: Natural & Man-made
- 1937 – Nanjing, China was seized by the Japanese Imperial Army in the Sino-Japanese War which led to the Nanjing Massacre. It is believed that around 300,000 Chinese were killed in the massacre.
- 1977 – No less than 584 were killed and 1,000 injured in a nasty earthquake (5.9) that occurred in the Kerman province, Iran.
Discoveries & Explorations
- 1642 – Abel Tasman, the Dutch navigator found New Zealand (South Island) on this day. He thought to reach the west coast of an imaginary southern continent.
- 1934 – Nova Herculis was discovered by J.P.M. Prentice, the British astronomer.
Leisure & Sports
- 1985 – David Boon, the Australian cricketer scored his first century in Test cricket (123) playing against India at Adelaide.
- 2013 – Archie Moore the American boxer was born on this day. He won the world light heavyweight boxing championship on multiple occasions.
Birth Anniversaries (13 December)
- 1553 – Henry IV (French King)
- 1797 – Heinrich Heine (German Author)
- 1929 – Christopher Plummer (Canadian actor)
- 1989 – Taylor Swift (American singer-songwriter)
Death Anniversaries (13 December)
- 1204 – Moses Maimonides (Jewish philosopher and physician)
- 1466 – Donatello (Italian Sculptor)
- 1784 – Samuel Johnson (English Author)
- 1961 – Grandma Moses (American Artist)
- 1986 – Smita Patil (Indian actress and journalist)
- 2004 – David Wheeler (Computer scientist from English)
What Special Day is Today: (13 December)
- Sailor’s Day (Brazil)
- Republic Day (Malta)
- National Day (Saint Lucia)
- Nusantara Day (Indonesia)
- Acadian Remembrance Day (Acadians)
- Nanking Massacre Memorial Day (China)
- Martial Law Victims Remembrance Day (Poland)
Every day is special, and so also this day (13 December). The day has witnessed a lot of ups and downs in the history of mankind.
Many great people have prospered or perished on this day in history.
Our trade secret is not to keep anything secret from our readers. Providing our readers with authentic facts and figures, for each day, is what boosts us here.
To do this, we need your candid opinion on this article. What are you waiting for? Just write your comments and share them with us.
On This Day:
31 December | 30 December | 29 December | 28 December | 27 December | 26 December | 25 December | 24 December | 23 December | 22 December | 21 December | 20 December | 19 December | 18 December | 17 December | 16 December | 15 December | 14 December | 12 December | 11 December | 10 December | 9 December | 8 December | 7 December | 6 December | 5 December | 4 December | 3 December | 2 December | 1 December