15 December: In a year, the 15th of December is the 349th day as per the Georgian Calendar. In a leap year, it is the 350th day of the year.
What special day is today?
On this day, Gone with the Wind premiered, the Iraq War ended, and 15,000 Jews were murdered by German troops.
Famous birthdays include Nero, Freeman Dyson, Oscar Niemeyer, and Bhaichung Bhutia.
December 15 also marks Bill of Rights Day in the United States.
Let’s explore what happened today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 15 December
Art & Artists
- 1939 – Premiere of Gone with the Wind, the Vivien Leigh, and Clark Gable starred movie in Atlanta, Georgia. The movie was based on the Civil War time romantic story of the American South. The movie was adapted from Margaret Mitchell’s novel written in 1936.
- 1997 – Release of “Spice World“, a Spice Girls starred Bob Spiers-directed movie in the UK.
Science & Technology
- 1871 – Ella Stewart, the 16-year-old American telegraphist used keys and sent a message from Arizona Territory. It was the first telegraph message sent from Arizona.
- 1903 – Italo Marchiony’s ice-cream cone-making machine invention got a patent. He was a food cart vendor of Italian-American origin.
Leaders & Politics
- 1997 – Janet Rosenberg Jagan became the president of Guyana after she won the general election. She created history by becoming the very first woman president in the continent of South America.
- 2011 – The end of the Iraq War as the USA officially confirmed that its operation in Iraq is completed.
People & Society
- 1582 – Adoption of the Gregorian calendar by Spanish Netherlands, Norway, and Denmark.
- 2001 – Once again, the Leaning Tower of Pisa was opened to the public (after reparation) for eleven years.
Disasters: Natural & Man-made
- 1914 – Mitsubishi Hojo coal mine witnessed a gas explosion that killed 687. The mine is located in Kyushu, Japan.
- 1941 – More than 15,000 Jews were murdered by German troops at Drobytsky Yar, Kharkiv, Ukraine.
Discoveries & Explorations
- 1965 – From Cape Kennedy, Florida, Gemini 6A was launched. The satellite was sent on a mission to “interact” with Gemini 7. Wally Schirra and Thomas Stafford were the crew members.
- 1970 – Venera 7 landed on Venus successfully. It made a record of becoming the first satellite that was soft-landed on another planet.
Leisure & Sports
- 1930 – The batting legend Don Bradman, an Occasional leg-spin bowler took his first Test cricket in Adelaide by entrapping the batsman Ivan Barrow (West Indian).
- 1988 – Mike Tyson was sued by Lori Davis of Long Island for grabbing her buttocks.
Birth Anniversaries (15 December)
- 37 – Nero (Roman Emperor)
- 1832 – Gustave Eiffel (Engineer, France)
- 1899 – Harold Abrahams (Athlete, Britain)
- 1907 – Oscar Niemeyer (Architect, Brazil)
- 1923 – Freeman Dyson (Physicist, America)
- 1976 – Bhaichung Bhutia (Footballer player, India)
Death Anniversaries (15 December)
- 1683 – Izaak Walton (Biographer, England)
- 1885 – Robert A. Toombs (Politician, America)
- 1950 – Vallabhbhai Patel (Indian Statesman)
- 1966 – Walt Disney (Film Producer, American)
- 2013 – Joan Fontaine (Actress, America)
What Special Day is Today: (15 December)
- Bill of Rights Day (United States)
- Homecoming Day (Alderney)
- Kingdom Day (Netherlands)
- Zamenhof Day (International Esperanto Community)
The day (15 December) holds an enormous amount of surprise elements. The day has closely seen the political upheavals, economic fluctuations, vagaries of weather conditions, climate change, and environmental degradation.
Many scientists, politicians, economists, community leaders, and individuals came into the limelight, for good or bad reasons, on this day in history.
We always try to provide you with the best quality content. Yours’ ‘say’ could enhance our quality. So, we sincerely request you to drop a few lines on the article.
On This Day:
31 December | 30 December | 29 December | 28 December | 27 December | 26 December | 25 December | 24 December | 23 December | 22 December | 21 December | 20 December | 19 December | 18 December | 17 December | 16 December | 14 December | 13 December | 12 December | 11 December | 10 December | 9 December | 8 December | 7 December | 6 December | 5 December | 4 December | 3 December | 2 December | 1 December