15 February: You can find interesting events happening on each day throughout history. But what special day is today?
Here you will find a compilation of all the amazing things that happened on this day in history on 15th February!
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 15 February
- In 1927, the famous silent film “It” was released in America and Clara Bow became the favorite “It Girl.”
- In 1965, after a royal proclamation, Canada adopted its current national flag with a Maple Leaf in the center.
- In 1978, Leon Spinks became the world champion of heavyweight boxing after defeating Muhammad Ali.
- In 1989, the last troops of the Soviet Union were withdrawn from Afghanistan under President Mikhail Gorbachev.
- In 1564, Italian astronomer Galileo Galilei, who is considered as the father of modern science, was born on this day.
- In 1809, Cyrus McCormick, the inventor of mechanical reaper was born.
- In 1820, Susan B. Anthony, a pioneer crusader for the women’s suffrage movement in the United States, was born.
- In 1861, Alfred North Whitehead, a renowned English philosopher and mathematician was born.
- In 1910, the Polish social worker, Irena Sendler was born on this day. She along with her underground network, rescued 2,500 Jewish children in Poland during World War II.
- In 1914, the prominent American politician, Hale Boggs was born.
- In 1928, the former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Herbert Henry Asquith died on this day.
- In 1946, Cornelius Johnson, the American high jumper who received a gold medal in Olympics 1936, died of bronchopneumonia at the age of 32.
- In 1961, Maribel Vinson, the American figure skater who was the National US Champion 9 times, died at 49.
- In 1972, the American journalist and author Edgar Snow died at 66.
- In 1981, the famous English cricketer Jack Crapp died at 68.
What Special Day is Today: 15 February
- International Angelman Day is celebrated globally.
- International Childhood Cancer Awareness Day is celebrated around the world.
- Singles Awareness Day is celebrated internationally one day after Valentine’s Day.
- World Hippo Day is celebrated globally.
We hope all your curiosities about what special day is today are answered now. However, if you know some more things that happened on this day in history on 15th February, you can drop a comment and share with us!
On This Day:
28 February | 27 February | 26 February | 25 February | 24 February | 23 February | 22 February | 21 February | 20 February | 19 February | 18 February | 17 February | 16 February | 14 February | 13 February | 12 February | 11 February | 10 February | 9 February | 8 February | 7 February | 6 February | 5 February | 4 February | 3 February | 2 February | 1 February