15 November: In a year, the 15th of November is the 319th day as per the Georgian Calendar. In a leap year, it is the 320th day of the year.
What special day is today? This day has its distinctiveness and importance in history.
Let’s explore people who have carved a niche for themselves on 15th November. We may also need to scan through the events that happened today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 15 November
Art & Artists
- 1845 – Production of “Maritana” opera in London.
- 1932 – Premiere of “Symphony No. 5” – “Reformation” by Felix Mendelssohn.
- 1956 – Premiere of The Reno Brothers’ Elvis Presley starrer film “Love Me Tender“ in America.
Science & Technology
- 1926 – Opening up of 24 stations the NBC Radio Network.
- 1971 – Release of Intel’s “the 4004” (world’s first commercial single-chip microprocessor).
- 2001 – Launch of the Xbox game console by Microsoft.
- 2013 – Release of PlayStation 4 (PS4) game console by Sony.
Leaders & Politics
- 1889 – Brazil was declared a republic.
- 1920 – ‘The Nations’ first assembly was held in Geneva, Switzerland.
- 1933 – The first election conducted in Thailand.
- 1988 – Palestinian statehood proclaimed by Yasser Arafat.
People & Society
- 1720 – Capt. Jonathan Barnet captured three pirates (Anne Bonny, Mary Read, and John Rackham) and brought them to Jamaica for their trial.
- 1914 – Italian socialist Benito Mussolini founded the newspaper named “Il Popolo d’Italia”.
- 2006 – The Worldwide launches of Al Jazeera
Disasters: Natural & Man-made
- 1994 – 78 people died and 430 were injured in a Tsunami (28ft. high) that was triggered by a high-magnitude earthquake (7.1).
- 2000 – Crash of Antonov An 24, a chartered plane) in Angla that killed not less than 40.
- 2007 – Cyclone Sidr hits Bangladesh, killing an estimated 5,000 people and destroying parts of the Sundarbans (the world’s largest mangrove forest).
Discoveries & Explorations
- 1492 – Christopher Columbus notes 1st recorded reference to tobacco.
- 1620 – A foot exploration started by 16 men led by Myles Standish in the northern portion of Cape Cod.
- 1837 – Pitman shorthand (a shorthand system of writing) was introduced.
- 1966 – Gemini 12 completed its final mission when it splashes down safely in the Atlantic Ocean.
- 1988 – Shuttle Buran took its novel space flight in the Soviet Union.
Leisure & Sports
- 1901 – In a heavyweight boxing title James J. Jeffries technically knockouts (TKOs) Gus Ruhlin in San Francisco.
- 2011 – Mike Krzyzewski, the Duke University basketball coach recorded his 903rd career win, the highest that time.
- 2020 – Lewis Hamilton clinches the Turkish Grand Prix title and equaled the all-time record held by Michael Schumacher’s save drivers’ title.
Birth Anniversaries (15 November)
- 1887 – Georgia O’Keeffe (American painter)
- 1891 – Erwin Rommel (German field marshal)
- 1929 – Ed Asner (American actor)
- 1930 – J.G. Ballard (British author)
Death Anniversaries (15 November)
- 1630 – Johannes Kepler (German astronomer)
- 1949 – Nathuram Godse (Indian assassin of Mahatma Gandhi)
- 1978 – Margaret Mead (American anthropologist)
- 2010 – Larry Evans (American journalist and chess player)
- 2015 – Saeed Jaffrey (Indian-British actor)
What Special Day is Today: (15 November)
- Day of the Imprisoned Writer (International observance)
- America Recycles Day (United States)
- King’s Feast (Belgium)
- National Tree Planting Day (Sri Lanka)
- Peace Day (Ivory Coast)
- Republic Proclamation Day (Brazil)
- Shichi-Go-San (Japan)
The factual story of the day (15 November) covers the entire globe and a lot of well-known personalities. The day has remained a silent observer of what happened on this day in history.
Providing our readers with authentic facts and figures, for each day, is what boosts us here.
We would love to hear from you. We request you drop your feedback on the article. If you have any rare information like the above, then do share it with us.
On This Day:
30 November | 29 November | 28 November | 27 November | 26 November | 25 November | 24 November | 23 November | 22 November | 21 November | 20 November | 19 November | 18 November | 17 November | 16 November | 14 November | 13 November | 12 November | 11 November | 10 November | 9 November | 8 November | 7 November | 6 November | 5 November | 4 November | 3 November | 2 November | 1 November