16 November: In a year, the 16th of November is the 320th day as per the Georgian Calendar. In a leap year, it is the 321st day of the year.
What special day is today? This day has its distinctiveness and importance in history.
Let’s explore people who have carved a niche for themselves on 16th November. We may also need to scan through the events that happened today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 16 November
Art & Artists
- 1973 – John Lennon’s fourth studio album “Mind Games“ was recorded by Apple in the UK.
- 2001 – Premiere of the movie “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone“ in the US.
- 2012 – Launch of ‘Call of Duty: Black Ops 2’, a first-person shooter video game became the biggest and most popular entertainment launch of all time. Within 24 hours of its launch, it grosses 1 whooping $500 million.
Science & Technology
- 1945 – Announcement of the discovery of two new elements americium (atomic number 95) and curium (atomic number 96) by Glenn Seaborg, James, Morgan, and Albert Ghiorso.
- 1974 – The Arecibo message, 1st intentional interstellar radio message sent to globular star cluster M13 situated some 25,000 light years away. The content of the basic information sent was about humanity and Earth”.
Leaders & Politics
- 13 – After seizing Germany, General Tiberius organized a victory procession through Rome.
- 1804 – Turks massacred 6,000 Armenians in Kurdistan.
- 1922 – The Ottoman Empire sees its end.
People & Society
- 1519 – Mosquito infestations forced the City of Havana to move to its current location.
- 1801 – The launch of the New York Evening Post.
- 1945 – UNESCO was founded.
- 1998 – Benazir Bhutto became the Prime Minister of Pakistan.
Disasters: Natural & Man-made
- 2018 – The landfall of a severe cyclone “Gaja” in southern India that eventually killed 52.
Discoveries & Explorations
- 1982 – Columbia, 5th NASA Space Shuttle Mission, lands at Edwards Air Force Base.
- 1984 –Discovery 2, the 14th Shuttle Mission (51A) lands at Kennedy Space Center (Florida).
- 2015 – A 1,1111, carat diamond was found in the Karowe mine, Botswana. The diamond is treated as the second largest diamond stone found to date.
Leisure & Sports
- 1981 – In an unprecedented incident, Javed Miandad was kicked by Denis Lillie (when Miandad waved his bat at Dennis).
- 1983 – Great cricketer Kapil Dev took 9-83 against West Indies in a loss match.
- 2003 – Debut of the legendary footballer Lionel Messi (as a substitute) for FC Barcelona in a match against Porto.
Birth Anniversaries (16 November)
- 1873 – W.C. Handy (American composer)
- 1896 – Oswald Mosley (English politician)
- 1938 – Robert Nozick (American philosopher)
- 1971 – Waqar Younis (Pakistani cricketer and coach)
- 1991 – Tomomi Kasai (Japanese actress and singer)
Death Anniversaries (16 November)
- 1272 – Henry III (British monarch)
- 2012 – Bob Scott (Rugby player from New Zealand)
- 2015 – Bert Olmstead (Ice hockey player and coach from Canada)
- 2017 – Ann Wedgeworth (American actress)
What Special Day is Today: (16 November)
- Clarinet Day
- International Geographic Information Systems Day
- National Indiana Day
- National Black Marketers Day
- International Check Your Wipers Day
- International Day for Tolerance
The factual story of the day (16 November) covers the entire globe and a lot of well-known personalities. The day has remained a silent observer of what happened on this day in history.
Providing our readers with authentic facts and figures, for each day, is what boosts us here.
We would love to hear from you. We request you drop your feedback on the article. If you have any rare information like the above, then do share it with us.
On This Day:
30 November | 29 November | 28 November | 27 November | 26 November | 25 November | 24 November | 23 November | 22 November | 21 November | 20 November | 19 November | 18 November | 17 November | 15 November | 14 November | 13 November | 12 November | 11 November | 10 November | 9 November | 8 November | 7 November | 6 November | 5 November | 4 November | 3 November | 2 November | 1 November