17 November: In a year, the 17th of November is the 321st day as per the Gregorian Calendar. In a leap year, it is the 322nd day of the year.
What special day is today? This day has its distinctiveness and importance in history.
Let’s explore people who have carved a niche for themselves on 17th November. We may also need to scan through the events that happened today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 17 November
Art & Artists
- 1940 – Establishment of the Tartu Art Museumin Tartu, Estonia
- 2008 – Premiere of Stephenie Meyer’s popular vampire-based movie “Twilight Saga”.
Science & Technology
- 1947 – The basic principles of the transistor were observed by John Bardeen and Walter Houser Brattain. These three American scientists’ observations revolutionized electronics in the 20th century.
- 1986 – The flight crew Flight 1628 (a Japanese Airlines flight) claimed to sight a UFO over Alaska.
Leaders & Politics
- 1800 – The first session of the US Congress was conducted in Washington, D.C.
- 2003 – Actor Arnold Schwarzenegger began his career as California’s governor.
- 1973 – On the precedence of the “Watergate scandal” Richard Nixon, the U.S. President held a press conference in which he declared, “I am not a crook.”
People & Society
- 1950 – Lhamo Dondrub is officially declared the 14th Dalai Lama.
- 1858 – Foundation of the city of Denver, Colorado.
- 1869 – Inauguration of the Suez Canal (Egypt) that link the Mediterranean Sea and the Red Sea.
Disasters: Natural & Man-made
- 1837 – An earthquake (in Valdivia south-central Chile region) led tsunami that caused massive destruction along Japan’s coast.
- 2000 – A disastrous landslide occurred in Log pod Mangartom, Slovenia damaged property extensively and killed seven.
- 2013 – A tornado outbreak (six dozen tornadoes in 11 hours) strikes Indiana and Illinois.
Discoveries & Explorations
- 1820 – Captain Nathaniel Palmer reached Antarctica. He became the first American to do so.
- 1970 – Lunokhod 1 successfully landed on the Mare Imbrium (Sea of Rains) region of the Moon. It was released by the orbiting spacecraft – Luna 17.
Leisure & Sports
- 1869 – 1st bicycle race was won by the Englishman James Moore who cycled 135 km from Paris to Rouen.
- 2013 – Sebastian Vettel, a German Red Bull driver clinched a record-breaking record 8th consecutive win in Formula 1 race.
Birth Anniversaries (17 November)
- 1887 – Bernard Law Montgomery (Field Marshal from Britain)
- 1942 – Martin Scorsese (American filmmaker)
- 1950 – Roland Matthes (German swimmer)
- 1978 – Rachel McAdams (Canadian actress)
Death Anniversaries (17 November)
- 1558 – Hugh Aston (English composer) was buried on this day
- 1796 – Catherine the Great (the last Empress of Russia)
- 1917 – Auguste Rodin (French sculptor)
- 1937 – Jack Worrall (Australian cricketer and footballer)
- 2000 – Louis Néel (French physicist and Nobel laureate)
- 2012 – Bal Thackeray (Indian politician and cartoonist)
What Special Day is Today: (17 November)
- International Happy Gose Day
- International Students’ Day
- World Prematurity Day
- Martyrs’ Day (Odisha, India)
- Athens Polytechnic Uprising Remembrance Day (Greece)
The factual story of the day (17 November) covers the entire globe and a lot of well-known personalities. The day has remained a silent observer of what happened on this day in history.
Providing our readers with authentic facts and figures, for each day, is what boosts us here.
We would love to hear from you. We request you drop your feedback on the article. If you have any rare information like the above, then do share it with us.
On This Day:
30 November | 29 November | 28 November | 27 November | 26 November | 25 November | 24 November | 23 November | 22 November | 21 November | 20 November | 19 November | 18 November | 16 November | 15 November | 14 November | 13 November | 12 November | 11 November | 10 November | 9 November | 8 November | 7 November | 6 November | 5 November | 4 November | 3 November | 2 November | 1 November