18 March: Are you thrilled to find out what happened on this day in history?
Today has been a remarkable day in history. It has seen the fall of some of the kings across empires. So, let’s unwrap and see what special day is today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 18 March
Governments and People
- 1766 – The British Parliament repealed the Stamp Act of 1765 after violent protests from American colonists, including a group known as the Sons of Liberty.
- 1871 – The Commune of Paris, an insurrection of Parisians against the French government, began, lasting until May 28.
- 1922 – Mohandas K. Gandhi was sentenced to prison in India for civil disobedience after calling for mass civil disobedience.
- 1974 – Seven member countries of OPEC lifted a five-month oil embargo against the United States.
- 1906 – The first monoplane, constructed by the Romanian inventor Trajan Vuia, made a flight of 12 metres (40 feet).
- 1965 – A Soviet cosmonaut known as Lt. Col. Alexei Leonov exited the spacecraft Voskhod II for a short “spin”. He completed a somersault, and then proceeded to take pictures of space.
- 1925 – A giant tornado struck Missouri, Illinois and Indiana during the mid-afternoon killing hundreds often referred to as the tri-state tornadoes.
- 1967 – England Torrey Canyon: The tanker “Torrey Canyon” ran aground on rocks between Land’s End and the Scilly Isles leaking its cargo of 100,000 tons of crude oil into the sea.
Birth Anniversaries (18 March)
- 1837 – Grover Cleveland, the 22nd and 24th president of the United States.
- 1844 – Nikolay Rimsky-Korsakov, Russian composer, teacher, and editor.
- 1858 – Rudolf Diesel, German inventor who invented the Diesel engine.
- 1893 – Wilfred Owen, English poet noted for his anger at the cruelty and waste of war and his pity for its victims.
- 1936 – F.W. de Klerk, politician who as president of South Africa (1989–94) brought the apartheid system of racial segregation to an end.
- 1952 – Mike Webster, American professional football player.
Death Anniversaries (18 March)
- 1584 – Ivan the Terrible, grand prince of Moscow (1533–84) and the first to be proclaimed tsar of Russia (from 1547).
- 1913 – George I, King of Greece was assassinated on this day.
- 1965 – Farouk I, King of Egypt from 1936 to 1952.
- 1980 – Erich Fromm, German-born American psychoanalyst and social philosopher who explored the interaction between psychology and society.
- 1983 – Umberto II, King of Italy.
What Special Day is Today: 18 March
- World Sleep Day – March 18, 2022 (Friday of Second Full Week in March)
- National Biodiesel Day – United States
- National Day of Action Against Bullying and Violence (March 18, 2022) – USA
- Ordnance Factories’ Day – India
We hope this article was interesting and you found out what special day is today. This day has been a notable one for technology, political twists and also for people.
On this ‘world sleep day’, make sure you have a healthy sleep cycle. We wish you all an amazing day ahead too.
If you have any interesting facts to share or anything to add to the above list, please share it in the comments. We would love to hear from you.
On This Day:
31 March | 30 March | 29 March | 28 March | 27 March | 26 March | 25 March | 24 March | 23 March | 22 March | 21 March | 20 March | 19 March | 17 March | 16 March | 15 March | 14 March | 13 March | 12 March | 11 March | 10 March | 9 March | 8 March | 7 March | 6 March | 5 March | 4 March | 3 March | 2 March | 1 March