19 December: In a year, the 19th of December is the 353rd day as per the Gregorian Calendar. In a leap year, it is the 354th day of the year.
What special day is today?
On this day, the Premiere of the James Cameron-directed super-hit movie ‘Titanic’, the original FIFA World Cup Trophy was stolen, and the launch of ‘Gaia’, a spacecraft, by European Space Agency.
Famous birthdays include Pratibha Patil, Reggie White, and Ricky Ponting.
December 19 also marks Goa Liberation Day in India.
Let’s explore what happened today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 19 December
Art & Artists
- 1843 – The publication of A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, the famous author from England.
- 1997 – Premiere of the James Cameron-directed super-hit movie Titanic. The Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet starrer movie became the highest-grossing film of all time.
Science & Technology
- 1932 – The beginning of the broadcasting of BBC World Service (as the BBC Empire Service).
- 1958 – The first radio broadcast from outer space in which the voice of US President Eisenhower (pre-recorded tape) was transmitted.
Leaders & Politics
- 1929 – India’s independence (the Purna Swaraj) was promulgated by the Indian National Congress.
- 1998 – The approval of the impeachment against Bill Clinton, the U.S. President.
People & Society
- 1910 – Jean Genet, a foremost actor in the avant-garde theatre was born. He was a French criminal who later became a dramatist and actor.
- 1924 – Sale of the last piece of Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost in London, England.
Disasters: Natural & Man-made
- 1977 – A powerful earthquake (5.8) hit the Iranian province of Kerman which killed 665 people and destroyed many villages.
- 1997 – SilkAir Flight 185 smashed into the Indonesian river Musi located near Palembang.
Discoveries & Explorations
- 1813 – The ozone was discovered by Thomas Andrews, a noted physicist from England.
- 2013 – The launch of Gaia, a spacecraft, by the European Space Agency.
Leisure & Sports
- 1924 – Bill Ponsford scored 110 (first inning) in his Test Cricket debut match.
- 1983 – The Jules Rimet Trophy, The original FIFA World Cup trophy was stolen from the Brazilian Football Confederation’s headquarters located in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Birth Anniversaries (19 December)
- 1683 – Philip V (King, Spain)
- 1915 – Edith Piaf (French Singer)
- 1934 – Pratibha Patil (12th President, India)
- 1961 – Reggie White (Football player, America)
- 1974 – Ricky Ponting (Australian Cricketer)
Death Anniversaries (19 December)
- 1741 – Vitus Bering (Danish Explorer)
- 1851 – J.M.W. Turner (English Painter)
- 1953 – Robert Millikan (American Physicist)
- 1989 – Stella Gibbons (British Writer)
- 1996 – Marcello Mastroianni (Italian Actor)
What Special Day is Today: (19 December)
- Goa Liberation Day (Goa, India)
- National Heroes and Heroines Day (Anguilla)
The fact-filled story of the day (19 December) has tried to capture eccentric events, mind-blowing moments, and times of triumph.
The article has also enlisted happenings with the peoples and personalities on this day in history.
Our articles aim to mesmerize your mind, knocking at your ‘knowledge’, and sharpen you with surprises. It would be possible only when we receive your regular feedback on the content.
Your suggestions would help us to improve our content as well as to serve you in a ‘meaningful’ way. So what are you waiting for?
Just take a moment to share your constructive-criticism of the content with us.
On This Day:
31 December | 30 December | 29 December | 28 December | 27 December | 26 December | 25 December | 24 December | 23 December | 22 December | 21 December | 20 December | 18 December | 17 December | 16 December | 15 December | 14 December | 13 December | 12 December | 11 December | 10 December | 9 December | 8 December | 7 December | 6 December | 5 December | 4 December | 3 December | 2 December | 1 December