19 February: It is a special day indeed as a lot happened on this day in history on 19th February.
But what special day is today? Let us find out!
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 19 February
- Thomas Edison was granted a patent for his invention of the phonograph in 1878.
- Typhoid Mary or Mary Mallon, in 1910, was first freed from forced isolation which led to several outbreaks in New York.
- In 1914, Five-year-old Charlotte May Pierstorff was mailed by train from Grangeville, Idaho to Lewiston, Idaho to visit her grandparents’ house which was 73 miles away, because mailing under 50 pounds was cheaper than buying a train ticket. At the time, her weight was 48.5 pounds and was mailed with a stamp of 32¢ on her coat.
- In 1971, famous singer Paul McCartney released “Another Day” in the United Kingdom.
- In 1473, the ‘father of modern astronomy’ Nicolaus Copernicus was born on this day.
- In 1630, Indian ruler and the founder of Maratha Kingdom Chhatrapati Shivaji was born on this day.
- In 1924, famous American Actor Lee Marvin was born in New York City.
- In 1945, German film director and writer Thomas Brasch was born in Westow, England.
- In 1948, American pro wrestler John William Minton (Big John Studd) was born in Butler, Pennsylvania.
- In 1949, well-known American software developer Dan Bunten was born in the US.
- In 1915, Indian political leader and social reformer Gopal Krishna Gokhale died on this day.
- In 1951, French author and the winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature André Gide died at the age of 81.
- In 1996, Spanish racecar driver Antonio Creus died at the age of 71.
- In 1996, US politician Grant Sawyer died at 76.
- In 2013, German composer Manfred Niehaus died at 79.
- In 1016, the famous American author Harper Lee who was celebrated for his book “To Kill A Mockingbird” died at 89.
What Special Day is Today: 19 February
- National Chocolate Mint Day is observed throughout the US every year on this day.
- Prevent Plagiarism Day is observed throughout the world.
- National Lash Day is celebrated annually on this day.
- International Tug-of-War Day is observed throughout the world on 19th February each year.
As is evident, on this day in history on 19th February, a lot of significant events took place.
But do you have some more facts or insights to share about what special day is today?
If yes, do write to us in the comments section below. We’d love to interact with you!
On This Day:
28 February | 27 February | 26 February | 25 February | 24 February | 23 February | 22 February | 21 February | 20 February | 18 February | 17 February | 16 February | 15 February | 14 February | 13 February | 12 February | 11 February | 10 February | 9 February | 8 February | 7 February | 6 February | 5 February | 4 February | 3 February | 2 February | 1 February