19 November: In a year, the 19th of November is the 323rd day as per the Georgian Calendar. In a leap year, it is the 324th day of the year.
What special day is today? This day has its distinctiveness and importance in history.
Let’s explore people who have carved a niche for themselves on 19th November. We may also need to scan through the events that happened today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 19 November
Art & Artists
- 1954 – Launch of Télé Monte Carlo TV channel by Prince Rainier III. It is the oldest private TV channel in Europe.
- 1975 – Release of “One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest” across theatres in America. The dramatic movie clinched five Academy Awards (best picture, director, lead actor, lead actress, and screenplay).
Science & Technology
- 1999 – Launch of China’s first Shenzhou spacecraft (Shenzhou 1).
- 2007 – The selling of the Kindle was started by Amazon.com.
Leaders & Politics
- 1863 – Deliverance of a short speech (known as Gettysburg Address) by Abraham Lincoln, the president of the U.S. He gave this address on the occasion of the dedication of the very famous National Cemetery located in Pennsylvania. The National Cemetery was constructed during the Civil War in the USA.
- 1946 – Sweden, Iceland, and Afghanistan became members of the UN.
People & Society
- 1703 – The death of an unidentified prisoner of the state (in France) who was known as “The man in the iron mask”. He died at Bastille situated in Paris. a political prisoner whose identity remained a mystery was a legendary criminal in French history.
- 1999 – John Carpenter becomes the first person to win the top-most prize in Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?, the very famous TV quiz game show.
- 2017 – Death of the notorious criminal Charles Manson whose associates brought about numerous brutal murders in the 1960s. He was a cult leader in the American criminal world.
Disasters: Natural & Man-made
- 2002 – “Prestige”, the Greek oil tanker plunged into the coast of Galicia, Spain. It released over 76,000 cubic meters of oil causing a big environmental disaster.
- 2013 – The double suicide bombing incident that occurred in the embassy of Iran killed 23 people and injured 160.
Discoveries & Explorations
- 1493 – Christopher Columbus got onto the land of Borinquen, an island. He christened its name San Juan Bautista which later got the name, Puerto Rico.
- 1969 – Astronauts Pete Conrad and Alan Bean became the 3rd and 4th humans to walk on the Moon. The spacecraft Apollo 12 landed at Oceanus Procellarum (which means “Ocean of Storms”) region of the Moon.
Leisure & Sports
- 1953 – The ruling came from the US Supreme Court that “baseball is a sport, not a business”.
- 1969 – 1,000th career goal was shoot by Pele, the legendary Brazilian footballer.
Birth Anniversaries (19 November)
- 1835 – Lakshmi Bai (Queen of Jhansi)
- 1917 – Indira Gandhi (Indian Prime Minister)
- 1954 – Abdel Fattah el-Sisi (Egyptian President)
- 1962 – Jodie Foster (American actress-director)
Death Anniversaries (19 November)
- 1887 – Emma Lazarus (American poet)
- 1992 – Bobby Russell (American songwriter and singer)
- 2003 – Ian Geoghegan (Race car driver from Australia)
- 2004 – John Vane (English academic, pharmacologist, and Nobel laureate)
- 2015 – Ron Hynes (Canadian guitarist and singer-songwriter)
What Special Day is Today: (19 November)
- International Men’s Day
- Women’s Entrepreneurship Day
- World Toilet Day
- Day of Discovery of Puerto Rico (Puerto Rico)
- Liberation Day (Mali)
- Flag Day (Brazil)
The factual story of the day (19 November) covers the entire globe and a lot of well-known personalities. The day has remained a silent observer of what happened on this day in history.
Providing our readers with authentic facts and figures, for each day, is what boosts us here.
We would love to hear from you. We request you drop your feedback on the article. If you have any rare information like the above, then do share it with us.
On This Day:
30 November | 29 November | 28 November | 27 November | 26 November | 25 November | 24 November | 23 November | 22 November | 21 November | 20 November | 18 November | 17 November | 16 November | 15 November | 14 November | 13 November | 12 November | 11 November | 10 November | 9 November | 8 November | 7 November | 6 November | 5 November | 4 November | 3 November | 2 November | 1 November