2 December: In a year, the 2nd of December is the 336th day as per the Georgian Calendar. In a leap year, it is the 337th day of the year.
What special day is today?
Many noted people and places came in news on this day. Teen-pop sensation Britney Spears, French painter Georges Seurat, Italian fashion designer Gianni Versace, and Canadian environmental activist Paul Watson share their birthday, on this date.
Marquis de Sade (French Author) and Philip Larkin (British Poet) died on the day.
Let’s explore the facts and figures given below that would bring out before us – what happened today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 2 December
Art & Artists
- 1981 – Britney Spears, the teen-pop singer from America was born.
- 1983 – Michael Jackson’s album song Thriller (groundbreaking music video) aired on MTV.
Science & Technology
- 1942 – The world’s first controlled self-sustaining test for a nuclear chain reaction was conducted by Enrico Fermi and his fellow scientists at the University of Chicago.
- 1970 – Beginning of the operation of the US EPA (the United States Environmental Protection Agency.
- 1982 – The Jarvik-7, the world’s first permanent artificial heart (a device made of aluminum and plastic) was planted in Barney Clark’s body by William C. DeVries (a cardiothoracic surgeon from America).
Leaders & Politics
- 1804 – Napoleon enthroned himself as France’s emperor. Pope Pius VII was present on the occasion.
- 1823 – Enunciation of the Monroe Doctrine by President James Monroe. According to the doctrine, the sphere of interest of the U.S. includes the entire Western Hemisphere even though the U.S. would not mess about in European affairs.
- 1908 – At the age of only three, Puyi turned into the Emperor of China.
- 1971 – Six small emirates on the Arabian Peninsula came together to form the UAE (United Arab Emirates). In February 1972, a 7th emirate joined it.
People & Society
- 1993 – Pablo Escobar, the world’s most dominant drug trafficker killed by authorities during a shoot-out. The Colombian criminal was active in the last two decades of the 20th century.
Disasters: Natural & Man-made
- 2016 – At a warehouse turned artist collective from Oakland, California caught in a fire that killed 36.
Discoveries & Explorations
- 1993 – The launch of the Space Shuttle Endeavour by NASA. The mission aimed to repair the Hubble Space Telescope.
Leisure & Sports
- 1907 – In Manchester, England, Billy Meredith and Charlie Roberts formed “the Trainers” and “The Union Association of Football Players”.
- 2014 – The death of Jean Beliveau, one of the greatest ice hockey players from Canada.
Birth Anniversaries (2 December)
- 1859 – Georges Seurat (French painter)
- 1946 – Gianni Versace (Fashion designer, Italy)
- 1950 – Paul Watson (Environmental Activist, Canadian)
- 1960 – Silk Smitha (Indian film actress)
- 1983 – Aaron Rodgers (American football player)
Death Anniversaries (2 December)
- 1814 – Marquis de Sade (French Author)
- 1985 – Philip Larkin (British Poet)
- 1987 – Donn Eisele (American Astronaut)
- 2002 – Ivan Illich (Austrian priest and philosopher)
What Special Day is Today: (2 December)
- International Day for the Abolition of Slavery (United Nations)
- National Day (Laos)
- National Day (United Arab Emirates)
- Armed Forces Day (Cuba)
The sensational story of the day (02 December) is mind-blowing for all of us.
Many important events occurred on this day in history. The day has unique significance for many great personalities.
Please drop your opinion on the article. Your opinion help us to serve you better.
On This Day:
31 December | 30 December | 29 December | 28 December | 27 December | 26 December | 25 December | 24 December | 23 December | 22 December | 21 December | 20 December | 19 December | 18 December | 17 December | 16 December | 15 December | 14 December | 13 December | 12 December | 11 December | 10 December | 9 December | 8 December | 7 December | 6 December | 5 December | 4 December | 3 December | 1 December