2 November: In a year, 2nd November is the 306th day as per the Georgian Calendar. In a leap year, it is the 307th day of the year. This day has its uniqueness and significance in history.
Let’s explore people who have carved a niche for themselves on this day. We may also need to scan through the events that happened on this day.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 2 November
Art & Artists
- 1892 – Visit of French poet Paul Verlaine to the Netherlands.
- 1960 – Penguin Books got a clean-chit in a trial of an allegation of obscenity.
Science & Technology
- 1936 – BBC started “The BBC Television Service”. This was the world’s first regular HD service.
- 1988 – World’s first distributed computer worm named “Morris Worm” launched from the MIT.
- 2000 – World’s first resident crew (two Russians and one American) reached the International Space Station.
Leaders & Politics
- 1914 – World War I: Ottman Empire was attacked by the Russian Empire
- 1940 – World War II: The battle of Elaia-Kalamas started between the Italians and the Greeks.
- 1949 – Hague Agreement was signed between the Republic of Indonesia and the Netherlands.
- 1956 – Suez Crisis worsened as the Gaza Strip was occupied by Israel.
- 1976 – Jimmy Carter became the President of the US.
People & Society
- 1867 – The first publication of “Harper’s Bazaar“ (Women’s fashion magazine).
- 1868 – Time Zone (New Zealand started using standard time, nationally).
- 1965 – An USA Quaker Norman Morrison protested against the Pentagon by setting himself on fire.
Disasters: Natural & Man-made
- 1882 – Most parts of the city center of Oulu (Oulu Province, Finland) were destroyed by fire.
- 1982 – A fuel truck collided with a truck carrying explosives inside the Salang Tunnel in Afghanistan. It caused a firestorm that killed approximately 3,000 people.
Discoveries & Explorations
- 1947 – The world’s biggest fixed-wing aircraft “Hughes H-4” (Spruce Goose) flew for the first and the last time by Howard Hughes (a designer) in California, US.
- 2000 – Expedition 1 reached the International Space Station for the 1st long-term stay onboard.
Leisure & Sports
- 1898 – Officially the first cheerleading was started by Johnny Campbell who led the crowd to cheer in a football match held at the University of Minnesota.
- 1959 – Twenty-One Game Quiz Show Scandal: Before a Congressional Committee, Charles Van Doren admitted to avail both answers and questions well in advance.
- 2011 – Playing for Real Madrid, Cristiano Ronaldo (Portuguese striker) scored his 100th goal.
Birth Anniversaries (2 November)
- 971 – Mahmud of Ghazni (attacked India 17 times)
- 1699 – Jean-Baptiste-Simeon Chardin (Painter from France)
- 1941 – Arun Shourie (Indian journalist, politician, and economist)
- 1965 – Shahrukh Khan (Bollywod Actor)
- 1974 – Sofia Polgar (Chess Player from Hungary)
Death Anniversaries (2 November)
- 1950 – George Bernard Shaw (an Irish playwright, critic, and political activist)
- 1961 – Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa I (Bahrain)
- 2004 – Theo Van Gogh (Actor-director from the Netherlands)
- 2015 – Tommy Overstreet (Singer-songwriter from the USA)
What Special Day is Today: (2 November)
- The Day of the Dead (Mexico)
- All Souls’ Day (for Roman Catholic Church)
- Indian Arrival Day (in Mauritius)
- International Day to End Impunity for Crime Against Journalists (U.N.)
2nd November is unique in itself. Many notable changes in human history have happened on this day. The day also observed many ups and downs in science, politics, society, and the environment.
We love to hear from you. Share your feedback on the article. If you have any rare information like the above, then do share it with us.
On This Day:
30 November | 29 November | 28 November | 27 November | 26 November | 25 November | 24 November | 23 November | 22 November | 21 November | 20 November | 19 November | 18 November | 17 November | 16 November | 15 November | 14 November | 13 November | 12 November | 11 November | 10 November | 9 November | 8 November | 7 November | 6 November | 5 November | 4 November | 3 November | 1 November