20 March: Are you curious to find out what happened on this day in history?
Today has been a remarkable day in history especially for royals. There have been very interesting events that took place.
Let’s unwrap and see what special day is today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 20 March
People and Governments
- 1966 – The World Cup was stolen while on display at Westminster Hall in London. The World Cup was on show prior to the start of the World Cup tournament in Britain later in the year. It was found 1 week later in a South London garden wrapped in newspapers. England did go on to win the World Cup in the year beating West Germany in the finals.
- 1999 – Bertrand Piccard of Switzerland and Brian Jones of Britain completed non-stop balloon circumnavigation around the world.
- 2010 – Thousands of people had taken to the streets of several Russian cities to protest at the Prime Minister, Vladimir Putin’s, policies.
- 2012 – The Queen of England celebrated her Diamond Jubilee by pledging to rededicate herself to the United Kingdom during a speech to the Houses of Parliament.
- 2014 – The Vatican Library had begun the lengthy and costly process of digitizing their collection of ancient manuscripts in collaboration with the Japanese company NTT Data.
- 1995 – Japan Sarin Gas Terrorist Attack: Five members from the Aum Shinrikyo religious (doomsday cult), riding on separate subway trains, converge at the Kasumigaseki station and secretly released lethal sarin gas into the air causing the death of Twelve people, and a further 5,500 treated in hospitals.
- 1922 – The US Postmaster General (Hubert Work) ordered all homes to get mailboxes or relinquish delivery of mail.
Birth Anniversaries (20 March)
- 1828 – Henrik Ibsen, Norwegian dramatist and poet.
- 1904 – B.F. Skinner, American psychologist.
- 1950 – William Hurt, American actor.
- 1956 – Catherine Ashton, British politician who served as leader of the House of Lords (2007–08), European Union (EU) trade commissioner (2008–09), and high representative for foreign affairs and security policy.
- 1976 – Chester Bennington, American singer and songwriter.
Death Anniversaries (20 March)
- 1351 – Muḥammad ibn Tughluq, second sultan of the Tughluq dynasty (reigned 1325–51), who briefly extended the rule of the Delhi sultanate of northern India over most of the subcontinent.
- 1619 – Matthias, Holy Roman Emperor.
- 1816 – Maria I, the first Queen regnant of Portugal (1777–1816).
- 1932 – Ilya Ivanovich Ivanov, Soviet biologist who developed a method for artificially inseminating domestic animals.
- 2014 – Khushwant Singh, Indian author who was awarded the Padma Vibhushan in 2007.
- 2015 – Malcolm Fraser, Australian politician who served as the 22nd prime minister of Australia.
What Special Day is Today: 20 March
Today has been observed under various causes across the globe. Here are some of the most prominent ones.
- Spring Equinox – March 20, 2022
- International Day of Happiness
- World Day of Theatre for Children and Young People
- World Frog Day
- World Sparrow Day
- World Storytelling Day
We hope this article was interesting and you found out what special day is today. This day has seen the rise and fall of royals throughout the years.
If you have any interesting facts to share or anything to add to the above list, please share it in the comments. We would love to hear from you.
On This Day:
31 March | 30 March | 29 March | 28 March | 27 March | 26 March | 25 March | 24 March | 23 March | 22 March | 21 March | 19 March | 18 March | 17 March | 16 March | 15 March | 14 March | 13 March | 12 March | 11 March | 10 March | 9 March | 8 March | 7 March | 6 March | 5 March | 4 March | 3 March | 2 March | 1 March