20 November: In a year, the 20th of November is the 324th day as per the Georgian Calendar. In a leap year, it is the 325th day of the year.
What special day is today? This day has its distinctiveness and importance in history.
Let’s explore people who have carved a niche for themselves on 20th November. We may also need to scan through the events that happened today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 20 November
Art & Artists
- 1805 – Premiere of “rescue opera” Fidelio in Vienna. It was Beethoven’s only opera.
- 1900 – Sarah Bernhardt (French actress) addresses the press in New York (at the Savoy Hotel).
Science & Technology
- 1866 – The rotary crank cycle was patented by Pierre Lallement, a noted inventor from France.
- 1985 – Release of Microsoft Windows 1.0 by Microsoft. It was the world’s first graphical PC operating environment.
Leaders & Politics
- 1910 – Mexican Revolution was launched by Mexican businessman, writer, revolutionary, and politician Francisco Madero. His revolt failed but felled the Mexican Revolution. Later, he became the president of Mexico.
- 1998 – The accused terrorist Osama bin Laden (the U.S. embassy bombings) was declared “a man without a sin” by a court in (Taliban-controlled) Afghanistan.
People & Society
- 1989 – Approximately 500,000 people participated in the Velvet Revolution, an anti-communist demonstration in Prague, Czechoslovakia.
- 1990 – Notorious Russian serial killer Andrei Chikatilo was arrested. He admitted to 56 killings.
Disasters: Natural & Man-made
- 1968 – In a coal mine explosion 78 miners were killed in West Virginia, the USA.
- 1974 – The crash of Lufthansa Flight 540 flight took 59 lives when it was taking off from an airport (Jomo Kenyatta International Airport) in Nairobi, Kenya. It was the first deadly crash of a Boeing 747.
Discoveries & Explorations
- 1997 – Discovery of the partial skull of a human ancestor (around 3.8 million years old) by Yohannes Haile-Selassie.
- 1998 – Launch of Zarya, the world’s first space station module component for the International Space Station from the Baikonur Cosmodrome located in Kazakhstan.
Leisure & Sports
- 1902 – Creation of the world-famous cycle race “Tour De France” by Henri Desgrange and Geo Lefevre.
- 1981 – Russian chess grandmaster Anatoly Karpov retained the title of the world chess championship.
Birth Anniversaries (20 November)
- 1858 – Selma Lagerlöf (Swedish author)
- 1939 – Jerry Colangelo (Businessman from America)
- 1942 – Joe Biden (the 46th U.S. President)
- 1953 – Greg Gibson (American wrestler)
- 1956 – Bo Derek (American actress & producer)
- 1962 – Rajkumar Hirani (Indian director)
Death Anniversaries (20 November)
- 1910 – Leo Tolstoy (Russian author)
- 1975 – Francisco Franco (Spanish ruler)
- 1984 – Faiz Ahmad Faiz (Pakistani poet and journalist)
- 1989 – Lynn Bari (American actress)
- 2000 – Mike Muuss (Computer programmer from America and the creator of Ping)
What Special Day is Today: (20 November)
- National Sovereignty Day (Argentina)
- Revolution Day (Mexico)
- Royal Thai Navy Day (Thailand)
- Teachers’ Day (Vietnam)
- Transgender Day of Remembrance (LGBT community)
The factual story of the day (20 November) covers the entire globe and a lot of well-known personalities.
The day has remained a silent observer of what happened on this day in history.
Providing our readers with authentic facts and figures, for each day, is what boosts us here.
We would love to hear from you. We request you drop your feedback on the article. If you have any rare information like the above, then do share it with us.
On This Day:
30 November | 29 November | 28 November | 27 November | 26 November | 25 November | 24 November | 23 November | 22 November | 21 November | 19 November | 18 November | 17 November | 16 November | 15 November | 14 November | 13 November | 12 November | 11 November | 10 November | 9 November | 8 November | 7 November | 6 November | 5 November | 4 November | 3 November | 2 November | 1 November