22 December: In a year, the 22nd of December is the 356th day as per the Gregorian Calendar. In a leap year, it is the 357th day of the year.
What special day is today?
On this day, the 24 years long dictatorial rule of Nicolae Ceaușescu ended in Romania; “Smack My Bitch Up” was removed by MTV from transmission rotation, and the display of the world’s first Christmas tree was lightened up by electric lights.
Famous birthdays include Giacomo Puccini, Srinivasa Ramanujan, and Ralph Fiennes.
December 22 also marks National Mathematics Day in India.
Let’s explore what happened today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 22 December
Art & Artists
- 1894 – Premiere of “Prelude à lapres-midi dun faune” in Paris. It was the first masterpiece (orchestral) by Claude Debussy.
- 1997 – “Smack My Bitch Up” was removed by MTV from transmission rotation.
Science & Technology
- 1964 – Launch of the SR-71 (Blackbird) at Air Force Plant 42 in California, United States.
- 2016 – A study revealed that the vaccine (the VSV-EBOV) is 70% to 100% effectual against the Ebola virus. It was the first verified vaccine to curb the disease.
Leaders & Politics
- 1989 – The 24 years long dictatorial rule of Nicolae Ceaușescu ended in Romania.
- 2010 – A legislation signed by U.S. President Barack Obama to repeal “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”. It was a policy concerning the service of LGBTQ members in the military.
People & Society
- 1216 – Endorsement of the Dominican orderby Pope Honorius III.
- 1989 – The reopening of the Brandenburg Gate in the East German city of Berlin. The event indicated the merger of East and West Germany once again.
Disasters: Natural & Man-made
- 1906 – A powerful earthquake (7.9) that struck the Chinese city of Xinjiang killed no less than 280 people.
- 2018 – Anak Krakatau erupted in Indonesia which propelled a tsunami. The tsunami took 430 lives and injured more than 1000 people.
Discoveries & Explorations
- 1882 – The display of the world’s first Christmas tree that was lightened up by electric lights.
- 1891 – The discovery of the first asteroid (323 Brucia) by Max Wolf using astrophotography. The asteroid was named after the American astronomy supporter Catherine Wolfe Bruce.
Leisure & Sports
- 1923 – Bill Ponsford and fellow cricketer Edgar Mayne made 456 runs opening partnership for the Bushrangers (Victoria).
- 2020 – Lionel Messi, the Argentinean football superstar scored his 644th goal for a club (FC Barcelona). He broke the record set by the legendary Pele (for Santos) of the highest number of goals scored by a footballer for one club.
Birth Anniversaries (22 December)
- 1666 – Guru Gobind Singh (Sikh Guru, India)
- 1853 – Sarada Devi (Religious Teacher, India)
- 1858 – Giacomo Puccini (Composer, Itali)
- 1887 – Srinivasa Ramanujan (Mathematician, India)
- 1945 – Diane Sawyer (Journalist, America)
- 1962 – Ralph Fiennes (Actor, Britain)
Death Anniversaries (22 December)
- 1880 – George Eliot (Author, Britain)
- 1939 – Ma Rainey (Singer, America)
- 1940 – Nathanael West (American Novelist)
- 1965 – Richard Dimbleby (British Journalist)
- 2015 – Freda Meissner-Blau (Politician, Australia)
What Special Day is Today: (22 December)
- National Mathematics Day (India)
- People’s Army Day (Vietnam)
- Mother’s Day (Indonesia)
- Dongzhi Festival (China)
- Unity Day (Zimbabwe)
- Teachers’ Day (Cuba)
The story of the day (22December) is quite interesting. One can see the transformation that was witnessed in every sphere throughout the world.
Many important political, economic, and cultural events took place on this day in history.
Hope you must have enjoyed reading the article. Please write back to us with your constructive criticism.
On This Day:
31 December | 30 December | 29 December | 28 December | 27 December | 26 December | 25 December | 24 December | 23 December | 21 December | 20 December | 19 December | 18 December | 17 December | 16 December | 15 December | 14 December | 13 December | 12 December | 11 December | 10 December | 9 December | 8 December | 7 December | 6 December | 5 December | 4 December | 3 December | 2 December | 1 December