22 November: In a year, the 22nd of November is the 326th day as per the Georgian Calendar. In a leap year, it is the 327th day of the year.
What special day is today? This day has its distinctiveness and importance in history.
Let’s explore people who have carved a niche for themselves on 22nd November. We may also need to scan through the events that happened today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 22 November
Art & Artists
- 1819 – George Eliot, the English novelist of the Victorian period was born on this date. Her original name was Mary Ann Evans.
- 1995 – Release of Toy Story, the 1st full-length movie made that completely used computer-generated imagery.
Science & Technology
- 1928 – The first electric razor was patented by the inventor Colonel Jacob Schick.
- 1955 – Launch of RDS 37 (a 2-stage hydrogen bomb weighing 1.6 megatons) by Russia. It was designed by a nuclear physicist from the Soviet Union.
Leaders & Politics
- 1837 – William Lyon Mackenziewrote an essay in his newspaper named “The Constitution”. The essay tried to influence the people to mutiny (against the UK) in Upper Canada.
- 1943 – Lebanon got independence from France.
- 1963 – The assassination of John F. Kennedy, the U.S. President in Dallas, Texas.
People & Society
- 1935 – Inauguration of the China Clipper, the first commercial transpacific air service between San Francisco (the US) and Manila (Philippines).
- 1977 – Inauguration of a regular supersonic Concorde service between London to New York City.
Disasters: Natural & Man-made
- 1994 – The eruption of the volcano Mt. Merapi on the island of Java killed 64 people.
- 2002 – More than 200 died in Nigeria in an outbreak aimed at the Miss World contestants.
- 2015 – More than 100 people died and approximately 100 were found missing in a landslide that occurred in Hpakant, northern Myanmar.
Discoveries & Explorations
- 1574 – The Juan Fernández Islands were discovered by Juan Fernández. The islands are situated off the coast of Chile.
- 1881 – Francis Blake patented his invention “the speaking phone”.
Leisure & Sports
- 1986 – Mike Tyson knockouts Trevor Berbick (in the second round) to become the youngest heavyweight champion in the history of boxing.
- 2003 – England won the Rugby World Cup by defeating Australia. It became the first side from the Northern Hemisphere to win the tournament.
Birth Anniversaries (22 November)
- 1890 – Charles de Gaulle (President of France)
- 1939 – Mulayam Singh Yadav (Indian politician)
- 1940 – Terry Gilliam (American director)
- 1942 – Floyd Sneed (Canadian drummer)
Death Anniversaries (22 November)
- 1819 – John Stackhouse (English botanist)
- 1967 – Pavel Korin (Russian painter)
- 1980 – Jules Léger (Canadian politician and journalist)
- 2013 – Don Dailey (American computer programmer)
- 2016 – M. Balamuralikrishna (Indian vocalist and singer)
What Special Day is Today: (22 November)
- Teacher’s Day (Costa Rica)
- Independence Day (Lebanon)
- Day of Justice (Azerbaijan)
- Day of the Albanian Alphabet (Albania and ethnic Albanians)
The factual story of the day (22 November) covers the entire globe and a lot of well-known personalities.
The day has remained a silent observer of what happened on this day in history.
Providing our readers with authentic facts and figures, for each day, is what boosts us here.
We would love to hear from you. We request you drop your feedback on the article. If you have any rare information like the above, then do share it with us.
On This Day:
30 November | 29 November | 28 November | 27 November | 26 November | 25 November | 24 November | 23 November | 21 November | 20 November | 19 November | 18 November | 17 November | 16 November | 15 November | 14 November | 13 November | 12 November | 11 November | 10 November | 9 November | 8 November | 7 November | 6 November | 5 November | 4 November | 3 November | 2 November | 1 November