23 November: In a year, the 23rd of November is the 327th day as per the Georgian Calendar. In a leap year, it is the 328th day of the year.
What special day is today? This day has its distinctiveness and importance in history.
Let’s explore people who have carved a niche for themselves on 23rd November. We may also need to scan through the events that happened today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 23 November
Art & Artists
- 534 BC – Thespis of Icaria, the ancient Greek poet, and actor became the first chronicled actor to depict a character on stage.
- 1991 – Freddie Mercury, the lead singer of Queen (a British rock band) made it public that he is HIV-positive. The next day, he was no more!
Science & Technology
- 1992 – Launch of the IBM Simon, the world’s first Smartphone at the COMDEX exhibition in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- 2015 – New Shepard spacecraft (Blue Origin’s) became the first rocket to effectively fly to space and then come back to Earth for a controlled-vertical landing.
Leaders & Politics
- 1971 – China’s representatives started attending sessions for the first time at the UN and the UNSC.
- 2005 – Ellen Johnson Sirleaf becomes the first woman to lead a country in Africa after getting elected as Liberia’s president on this day.
People & Society
- 1936 – Publication of Life (a leading photojournalism magazine) started in New York City, the US.
- 2019 – Imam, the last Sumatran species rhinoceros died in Malaysia which made the official extinction of the species in the country.
Disasters: Natural & Man-made
- 1946 – The bombardment by French naval of the port city of Haiphong killed no less than 6,000 civilians from Vietnam.
- 1978 – A cyclone devastated part of eastern Sri Lanka killing approximately 1,000 people, affecting about one million people, and damaging over 250,000 buildings.
Discoveries & Explorations
- 1935 – Lincoln Ellsworth, the American explorer reached the Ellsworth Land located in he claimed the land for the United States. Interestingly, the claim was never taken up by the U.S. government.
- 1972 – The then Soviet Union made an ultimate attempt for a successful launch of the N1 rocket but failed.
Leisure & Sports
- 1892 – Launch of the plan for modern Olympic Games by Pierre de Coubertin in France.
- 1986 – Martina Navratilova beat Steffi Graf to win her 8th WTA title.
Birth Anniversaries (23 November)
- 1887 – Henry Moseley (British physicist)
- 1926 – Sathya Sai Baba (Indian spiritual guru)
- 1956 – Shane Gould (Australian swimmer)
- 1967 – Gary Kirsten (Cricketer from South Africa)
Death Anniversaries (23 November)
- 1572 – Bronzino (Italian painter and poet)
- 1806 – Roger Newdigate (English politician)
- 2006 – Anita O’Day (American singer
- 2014 – Pat Quinn (Canadian ice hockey player)
What Special Day is Today: (23 November)
- St George’s Day (Georgia)
- Rudolf Maister Day (Slovenia)
- Labor Thanksgiving Day (Japan)
- Repudiation Day (Frederick County, Maryland, United States)
The factual story of the day (23 November) covers the entire globe and a lot of well-known personalities.
The day has remained a silent observer of what happened on this day in history.
Providing our readers with authentic facts and figures, for each day, is what boosts us here.
We would love to hear from you. We request you drop your feedback on the article. If you have any rare information like the above, then do share it with us.
On This Day:
30 November | 29 November | 28 November | 27 November | 26 November | 25 November | 24 November | 22 November | 21 November | 20 November | 19 November | 18 November | 17 November | 16 November | 15 November | 14 November | 13 November | 12 November | 11 November | 10 November | 9 November | 8 November | 7 November | 6 November | 5 November | 4 November | 3 November | 2 November | 1 November