24 December: In a year, the 24th of December is the 358th day as per the Georgian Calendar. In a leap year, it is the 359th day of the year.
What special day is today?
On this day, the first radio broadcast was transmitted by Reginald Fessenden; for the 2nd time, Hagia Sophia was dedicated and reopened in Constantinople; and Walter Hammond played his first Test Cricket match.
Famous birthdays include Ava Gardner, Stephenie Meyer, and Mohammed Rafi.
December 24 also marks Independence Day in Libya.
Let’s explore what happened today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 24 December
Art & Artists
- 1818 – The very first act of “Silent Night” was conducted in the St. Nikolaus church located in Oberndorf, Austria.
- 1871 – The premiere of Aida, an opera in Cairo, Egypt.
Science & Technology
- 1906 – The first radio broadcast was transmitted by Reginald Fessenden. It consisted of a speech, a violin solo, and a poetry reading.
- 1936 – The first successful administration of radioactive isotope medicine in Berkeley, California.
Leaders & Politics
- 1737 – In the Battle of Bhopal, the combined forces of the Mughal Empire, Rajputs of Jaipur, Nizam of Hyderabad, Nawab of Awadh, and Nawab of Bengal were defeated by the Marathas.
- 1979 – Invasion of Afghanistan by the Soviet Union to help the Afghan communist regime in its clash with Muslim guerrillas (anticommunist). It happened during the Afghan War.
People & Society
- 563 – For the 2nd time, Hagia Sophia was dedicated and reopened in Constantinople. The Byzantine church was damaged by earthquakes.
- 2001 – Rudy Giuliani was named ‘Person of the Year’ by “Time Magazine”. He got this recognition for his leadership and stewardship after the 9/11 attacks.
Disasters: Natural & Man-made
- 1966 – A Canadair CL-44 was smashed into a tiny village in South Vietnam. The United States military chartered plane crash eventually killed 111.
- 1971 – LANSA Flight 508, a passenger flight crashed (as it was hit by lightning) in Peru which killed 91.
Discoveries & Explorations
- 1777 – The discovery of Kiritimati by James Cook. The place is also known as Christmas Island.
- 1968 – Entry of Apollo 8 crew into orbit around the Moon. They became the first human beings to do so.
Leisure & Sports
- 1927 – Walter Hammond played his first Test Cricket match in which he scored 51 runs and clinched 5 wickets giving 36 runs.
- 1974 – Lou Brock from the MLB St Louis Cardinals team was named Sportsman of the Year.
Birth Anniversaries (24 December)
- 1166 – John (King, England)
- 1837 – Elisabeth (Empress Consort, Austria)
- 1922 – Ava Gardner (Actress, America)
- 1924 – Mohammed Rafi (Singer, India)
- 1973 – Stephenie Meyer (Author, American)
- 1990 – Brigetta Barrett (High jumper, America)
Death Anniversaries (24 December)
- 1524 – Vasco da Gama (Navigator, Portugal)
- 1987 – M. G. Ramachandran (Actor turned politician, India)
- 1997 – Mifune Toshirō (Actor, Japan)
- 2008 – Harold Pinter (Dramatist, Britain)
- 2012 – Jack Klugman (Actor, America)
- 2016 – Liz Smith (Actress, England)
What Special Day is Today: (24 December)
- Independence Day (Libya)
- Day of Military Honour – Siege of Izmail (Russia)
The story of the day (24 December) is unique in itself. Globally, nations and people either flourished or perished on this day in history.
We salute your support to us! Your constant encouragement drives us to give you what you want and like.
It would be only possible when we know your taste better. So do write to us.
On This Day:
31 December | 30 December | 29 December | 28 December | 27 December | 26 December | 25 December | 23 December | 22 December | 21 December | 20 December | 19 December | 18 December | 17 December | 16 December | 15 December | 14 December | 13 December | 12 December | 11 December | 10 December | 9 December | 8 December | 7 December | 6 December | 5 December | 4 December | 3 December | 2 December | 1 December