24 November: In a year, the 24th of November is the 328th day as per the Georgian Calendar. In a leap year, it is the 329th day of the year.
What special day is today? This day has its distinctiveness and importance in history.
Let’s explore people who have carved a niche for themselves on 24th November. We may also need to scan through the events that happened today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 24 November
Art & Artists
- 1877 – Publication of Black Beauty, a best-seller novel by Anna Sewel was published shortly before her death.
- 1962 – Beginning of the broadcast of the very popular That Was the Week That Was, a British satirical television program.
Science & Technology
- 1859 – Publication of On the Origin of Species by the great scientist Charles Darwin.
- 1874 – The first trade-wise successful barbed wire was patented by Joseph Farwell Glidden, the noted American inventor.
Leaders & Politics
- 1943 – The USS Liscome Bay sank near Tarawa when it was attacked by a torpedo at the battle of Makin (World War II). The incident killed 650 men.
- 1989 – A mass protest known as the Velvet Revolution resulted in the resignation of Miloš Jakeš and all the Politburo members of the Czechoslovak Communist Party resigned from the office which led to an end to Communist rule in the country.
People & Society
- 1963 – Lee Harvey Oswald who killed (assassinated) John F. Kennedy; President of the USA was killed by an American nightclub owner Jack Ruby.
- 1971 – When a ruthless thunderstorm was hitting the sky of Washington State, Dan Cooper (as he called himself) aka D. B. Cooper hijacked a Northwest Orient Airlines plane dropped from using a parachute and holding $200,000 in ransom money. Thereafter, nobody knew where he was.
Disasters: Natural & Man-made
- 1966 – TABSO Flight 101, a Bulgarian flight crashed near Bratislava, Czechoslovakia, which killed approximately 82 people.
- 1976 – An earthquake was experienced in Caldiran (Muradiye, Turkey). It caused the destruction of 80% of the houses and a death toll of between 4,000 and 5,000 people.
Discoveries & Explorations
- 1642 – Abel Janszoon Tasman, the Dutch seafarer, and the first European explorer to discover Tasmania (the then “island Van Diemen’s Land”).
Leisure & Sports
- 1974 – Richard Petty won the 24th NASCAR Sprint Cup.
- 1989 – Sachin Tendulkar set a world record when he got his first fifty in a Test Cricket at the age of only 16 years 214 days.
Birth Anniversaries (24 November)
- 1946 – Ted Bundy (American serial killer)
- 1961 – Arundhati Roy (Indian writer and activist, recipient of the Booker Prize)
- 1978 – Katherine Heigl (American actress)
Death Anniversaries (24 November)
- 1675 – Guru Tegh Bahadur (Indian guru)
- 2015 – Heinz Oberhummer (Austrian physicist, astronomer, and academic)
- 2019 – Goo Hara (singer cum actress from South Korea)
What Special Day is Today: (24 November)
- Teachers’ Day (Turkey)
- Evolution Day (International observance)
- Lachit Divas (Assam, India)
The factual story of the day (24 November) covers the entire globe and a lot of well-known personalities.
The day has remained a silent observer of what happened on this day in history.
Providing our readers with authentic facts and figures, for each day, is what boosts us here.
We would love to hear from you. We request you drop your feedback on the article. If you have any rare information like the above, then do share it with us.
On This Day:
30 November | 29 November | 28 November | 27 November | 26 November | 25 November | 23 November | 22 November | 21 November | 20 November | 19 November | 18 November | 17 November | 16 November | 15 November | 14 November | 13 November | 12 November | 11 November | 10 November | 9 November | 8 November | 7 November | 6 November | 5 November | 4 November | 3 November | 2 November | 1 November