25 December: In a year, the 25th of December is the 359th day as per the Gregorian Calendar. In a leap year, it is the 360th day of the year.
What special day is today?
On this day, the world’s first ovariotomy was performed by Dr. Ephraim McDowell; Mikhail Gorbachev resigned from his position as the President of the USSR; and “Pal Joey“, a musical was premiered in New York City.
Famous birthdays include Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Justin Trudeau, and Humphrey Bogart.
25th December also marks Christmas Day (Internationally observed).
Let’s explore what happened today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 25 December
Art & Artists
- 1940 – “Pal Joey“, a musical premiered in New York City. The music and lyrics were given by Lorenz Hart and Richard Rodgers.
- 1962 – “To Kill a Mockingbird”, a movie adapted from Harper Lee’s novel of the same title premiered in the US.
Science & Technology
- 1809 – World’s first ovariotomy was performed by Ephraim McDowell who took out a tumor weighing 22 pounds.
- 1962 – In expectation of a Partial Nuclear Test Ban Treaty in 1963, the Soviet Union conducted its last above-the-ground nuclear weapon test.
Leaders & Politics
- 800 – The king of the Franks (Charlemagne) turned into the first ruler of the Holy Roman Empire.
- 1991 – Resignation from the presidential position by the Soviet Union leader Mikhail Gorbachev. The Soviet Union, on the same day, ended its existence.
People & Society
- 221 – Even though the accurate date of the beginning of the date is unsure Christmas has been widely celebrated across the world on the 25th of December.
- 1927 – The burning of the Manusmriti by B. R. Ambedkar and his supporters in Mahad, Maharashtra. It was alleged that the ancient Hindu scripture prescribe ill-treatment to Dalit (Scheduled Caste) people.
Disasters: Natural & Man-made
- 1932 – A high magnitude earthquake (7.6) hit Gansu, China that killed around 275 people.
Discoveries & Explorations
- 2003 – The unlucky Beagle 2 probe which was released from the Mars Express spacecraft ceased to transmit moments before its planned landing.
- 2021 – The launch of the James Webb Space Telescope from Kourou, French Guiana.
Leisure & Sports
- 1888 – For the first time, a baseball game was played indoors at fairgrounds located in Philadelphia.
Birth Anniversaries (25 December)
- 1899 – Humphrey Bogart (Actor, America)
- 1918 – Anwar Sadat (3rd President, Egypt)
- 1924 – Atal Bihari Vajpayee (10th Prime minister, India)
- 1971 – Justin Trudeau (23rd Prime minister, Canada)
Death Anniversaries (25 December)
- 1635 – Samuel de Champlain (Explorer, France)
- 1972 – Chakravarti Rajagopalachari (Statesman, India)
- 1977 – Charlie Chaplin (Comedic actor-director, Britain)
- 1983 – Joan Miro (Artist, Spain)
- 1994 – Zail Singh (7th President, India)
- 2008 – Eartha Kitt (Musician & Actress, America)
What Special Day is Today: (25 December)
- Tulsi Pujan Diwas (India)
- Constitution Day (Taiwan)
- Good Governance Day (India)
- Quaid-e-Azam’s Day (Pakistan)
- Children’s Day (Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Equatorial Guinea, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Gabon, Republic of Congo)
- Christmas Day is a Christian festival commemorating the birth of Jesus. (Internationally observed)
The day (25 December) has great significance among people around the world.
The day is widely renowned as Christmas Day which is celebrated among both Christians and non-Christians with equal zest.
To make it short, innumerable transformational events have occurred in the spheres of politics, economy, science, sports, and entertainment on this day in history.
Your feedback on the article means a lot to us. So, please share your valuable opinion with us.
On This Day:
31 December | 30 December | 29 December | 28 December | 27 December | 26 December | 24 | December | 23 December | 22 December | 21 December | 20 December | 19 December | 18 December | 17 December | 16 December | 15 December | 14 December | 13 December | 12 December | 11 December | 10 December | 9 December | 8 December | 7 December | 6 December | 5 December | 4 December | 3 December | 2 December | 1 December