25 March: With an amazing turn of events, what happened on this day in history? Let’s unwrap to see what special day is today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 25 March
Travel & Discoveries
- 1609 – Henry Hudson embarked on an exploration for Dutch East India Company to find a passage to Asia.
- 1655 – Christiaan Huygens discovered Titan (Saturn’s largest satellite).
- 1807 – First fare-paying, passenger railway service in the world was established on the Oystermouth Railway in Swansea, Wales.
- 1857 – Frederick Laggenheim took the 1st photo of a solar eclipse.
- 1669 – Mount Etna in Sicily erupted, destroyed Nicolosi, killing 20,000.
- 1913 – Great Dayton Flood: Winter rains caused Great Miami River to flood, Ohio’s greatest natural disaster.
People & Politics
- 1802 – Great Britain and the French Republic signed the Treaty of Amiens.
- 1807 – British Parliament abolished slave trade throughout the British Empire; penalty of £120 per slave introduced for ship captains.
- 1895 – Italian troops invaded Abyssinia (Ethiopia).
- 1898 – Swami Vivekananda initiated Margaret Noble (Sister Nivedita) into vow of Brahmacharya, first western woman received into Indian monastic order.
- 1918 – Belarusian People’s Republic was established
- 1937 – Italy and Yugoslavia signed non-aggression treaty (Pact of Belgrade).
- 1964 – Egypt ended state of siege (1952-64).
Arts & Sports
- 1961 – “Gypsy” closed at Broadway Theater NYC after 702 performances
- 1988 – Canadian Kurt Browning became the 1st figure skater to land a quadruple jump.
Birth Anniversaries (25 March)
- 1347 – St. Catherine of Siena, canonized in 1461; feast day April 29.
- 1909 – Gabrielle Roy, Canadian novelist.
- 1914 – Norman Ernest Borlaug, American agricultural scientist, plant pathologist, and winner of the Nobel Prize for Peace in 1970.
- 1942 – Aretha Franklin, American singer.
Death Anniversaries (25 March)
- 1751 – Frederick (I), King of Sweden.
- 1918 – Claude Debussy, French composer.
- 1931 – Ida B. Wells-Barnett, American journalist and social reformer.
- 2009 – John Hope Franklin, American scholar.
What Special Day is Today: 25 March
- Greek Independence Day
- International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transatlantic Slave Trade
- International Day of Solidarity with Detained and Missing Staff Members
- International Day of the Unborn Child
- International Waffle Day
- National Cerebral Palsy Day – USA
Wasn’t today a remarkable day? Hope you have found out what special day is today. We wish you a wonderful day too.
If you have any interesting facts to share or anything to add to the above list, please share it in the comments. We would love to hear from you.
On This Day:
31 March | 30 March | 29 March | 28 March | 27 March | 26 March | 24 March | 23 March | 22 March | 21 March | 20 March | 19 March | 18 March | 17 March | 16 March | 15 March | 14 March | 13 March | 12 March | 11 March | 10 March | 9 March | 8 March | 7 March | 6 March | 5 March | 4 March | 3 March | 2 March | 1 March