26 November: In a year, the 26th of November is the 330th day as per the Gregorian Calendar. In a leap year, it is the 331st day of the year.
What special day is today? This day has its distinctiveness and importance in history.
Let’s explore people who have carved a niche for themselves on 26th November. We may also need to scan through the events that happened today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 26 November
Art & Artists
- 1942 – Premier of the movie “Casablanca” in New York City. Humphrey Bogart, Paul Henreid, and Ingrid Bergman were the lead caste in this of the most-admired films of Hollywood.
Science & Technology
- 1965 – The launch of Asterix (satellite) by France from a launch site located at Hammaguir, Algeria. With this feat France became the sixth nation to have an artificial satellite and the third nation to launch a satellite using its rocket.
- 2003 – The ultimate flight made by Concord over the sky of Bristol city in England.
- 2004 – The last Black-faced honeycreeper (Po’ouli) died in a bird conservation center in Hawaii. In 2019, the bird species was declared to be extinct.
Leaders & Politics
- 1812 – The battle of Berezina started when Napoleon was withdrawing from Russia.
- 1949 – Adoption of the constitution by the Constituent Assembly of India which was presented by B. R. Ambedkar.
- 1998 – Tony Blair addressed the parliament of the Republic of Ireland (the Oireachtas). He became the first UK prime minister to do so.
- 2008 – Ten members of “Lashkar-e-Taiba“ killed at least 166 citizens in Mumbai, India in a series of terrorist attacks. The outfit is an extremist Islamist terrorist organization based in Pakistan.
People & Society
- 1922 – The debut of The Toll of the Sea became the first widely released movie that used two-tone technicolor.
- 1970 – In Basse-Terre, Guadeloupe (France) experienced what is recorded as the heaviest rainfall in the world. The quantity of rainfall was 38mm only in one minute.
Disasters: Natural & Man-made
- 1852 – The Banda Sea was rocked by a high magnitude (8.8) earthquake. The resultant tsunami killed no less than 60 people in the Dutch East Indies.
- 1914 – HMS Bulwark, a battleship was blew-up by a powerful internal explosion. The incident took the lives of 741 men.
Discoveries & Explorations
- 1778 – Captain James Cook landed in Maui, the second largest island of Hawaii. He became the first European to do so.
- 1922 – Howard Carter and Lord Carnarvon to entered the tomb of Pharaoh. They became the first persons to enter it in over 3000 years.
- 2021 – Identification of SARS-CoV-2 Omicron variant (a co-variant of COVID-19) by the WHO (The World Health Organization).
Leisure & Sports
- 1917 – The National Hockey League was formed consisting of four Canadian teams. Other American and Canadian teams joined it later. The professional league from North America has a great contribution to making ice hockey popular and competitive.
Birth Anniversaries (26 November)
- 1857 – Ferdinand de Saussure (Swiss linguist)
- 1921 – Verghese Kurien (Indian engineer, and founder of Amul)
- 1922 – Charles Schulz (American cartoonist)
- 1939 – Tina Turner (American-born singer)
Death Anniversaries (26 November)
- 1980 – Pete DePaolo (American race car driver)
- 2012 – Peter Marsh (Australian table tennis player)
- 2014 – Gilles Tremblay (Canadian ice hockey player)
What Special Day is Today: (26 November)
- Constitution Day (India)
- Republic Day (Mongolia)
- Constitution Day (Abkhazia, Georgia)
The factual story of the day (26 November) covers the entire globe and a lot of well-known personalities. The day has remained a silent observer of what happened on this day in history.
Providing our readers with authentic facts and figures, for each day, is what boosts us here.
We would love to hear from you. We request you drop your feedback on the article. If you have any rare information like the above, then do share it with us.
On This Day:
30 November | 29 November | 28 November | 27 November | 25 November | 24 November | 23 November | 22 November | 21 November | 20 November | 19 November | 18 November | 17 November | 16 November | 15 November | 14 November | 13 November | 12 November | 11 November | 10 November | 9 November | 8 November | 7 November | 6 November | 5 November | 4 November | 3 November | 2 November | 1 November