27 December: In a year, the 27th of December is the 361st day as per the Gregorian Calendar. In a leap year, it is the 362nd day of the year.
What special day is today?
On this day, Johannes Kepler, the German astronomer discovered the three most important laws of planetary motion; the International Monetary Fund was created, and Charles Darwin started his history-creating voyage on the ‘HMS Beagle’.
Famous birthdays include Johannes Kepler, Louis Pasteur, and Salman Khan.
27th December also marks ‘Emergency Rescuer’s Day’ in Russia.
Let’s explore what happened today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 27 December
Art & Artists
- 1927 – Launch of Show Boat, a musical play by Kern and Hammerstein, on Broadway, the USA.
- 1931 – Opening up of Radio City Music Hall (also termed the “Showplace of the Nation”) in New York City.
Science & Technology
- 1571 – Johannes Kepler, the German astronomer discovered the three most important laws of planetary motion. He was born on this date.
- 1922 – Hosho, a Japanese aircraft carrier was commissioned on this day. It became the world’s first customized aircraft carrier that was built for a specific purpose.
Leaders & Politics
- 1801 – The establishment of the Republic of Lucca by Napoleon just after he occupied Italy.
- 1949 – Indonesia got sovereignty from the Netherlands. The nationalist revolutionary leader Sukarno declared the independence of Indonesia on this day.
People & Society
- 1911 – “Jana Gana Mana“ was sung for the first time in the Calcutta Session of the Indian National Congress.
- 1935 – Regina Jonas was appointed as the rabbi in Judaism’s history. She became the first woman to achieve this.
- 1945 – The creation of the International Monetary Fund after 29 nations signed an agreement on this behalf.
Disasters: Natural & Man-made
- 1836 – England witnessed one of the worst avalanches ever. It occurred in Lewes, Sussex, and killed 8 people.
Discoveries & Explorations
- 1831 – Charles Darwin started his history-creating voyage on the HMS Beagle. Later, he formulated the theory of evolution on the same trip.
Leisure & Sports
- 1981 – Wayne Gretzky got 100 points in his 38th game. He became the fastest player to achieve this in the NHL.
- 1982 – Imran Khan, the ace Pakistani pace bowler took 8 wicket haul for 60 runs. It helped Pakistan to get an innings victory against India at Karachi.
Birth Anniversaries (27 December)
- 1571 – Johannes Kepler (Astronomer, Germany)
- 1797 – Mīrza Asadullah Khān Ghalib (Poet, India)
- 1822 – Louis Pasteur (Chemist and microbiologist, French)
- 1948 – Gerard Depardieu (Actor, France)
- 1965 – Salman Khan (Actor and producer, India)
- 1991 – Michael Morgan (Rugby league player, Australia)
Death Anniversaries (27 December)
- 1834 – Charles Lamb (Author, Britain)
- 1974 – Jack Benny (American Comedian)
- 1982 – Jack Swigert (American Astronaut)
- 2007 – Benazir Bhutto (Former Prime Minister, Pakistan)
- 2012 – Norman Schwarzkopf (United States General)
What Special Day is Today: (27 December)
- Saint Stephen’s Day (Romania)
- Constitution Day (North Korea)
- Emergency Rescuer’s Day (Russia)
- The third of the Twelve Days of Christmas (Western Christianity)
The story of the day (27 December) is full of surprising, sentimental, scintillating, and shivering moments.
Many ups and downs had happened on this day in history.
Proving you a good article is like crossing a small milestone for us. Your feedback has been an inspiration and gives us the right direction.
So do write to us.
On This Day:
31 December | 30 December | 29 December | 28 December | 26 December | 25 December | 24 | December | 23 December | 22 December | 21 December | 20 December | 19 December | 18 December | 17 December | 16 December | 15 December | 14 December | 13 December | 12 December | 11 December | 10 December | 9 December | 8 December | 7 December | 6 December | 5 December | 4 December | 3 December | 2 December | 1 December