27 November: In a year, the 27th of November is the 331st day as per the Gregorian Calendar. In a leap year, it is the 332nd day of the year.
What special day is today? This day has its distinctiveness and importance in history.
Let’s explore people who have carved a niche for themselves on 27th November. We may also need to scan through the events that happened today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 27 November
Art & Artists
- 1951 – The first woman to win an Oscar award for best director, Kathryn Bigelow, was born. The American filmmaker won the award for his 2008 movie “The Hurt Locker”.
- 1953 – The death of Eugene O’Neill, the author of “Long Day’s Journey into Night”.
Science & Technology
- 1875 – Death of Richard Christopher Carrington, the British astronomer at Churt village, Surrey, England. The equatorial acceleration of the Sun was discovered by him.
- 1895 – The last will was signed by Alfred Nobel at the Swedish–Norwegian Club in Paris, France. He set aside his wealth to set up the Nobel Prize after his death.
Leaders & Politics
- 1965 – The Pentagon advised Lyndon B. Johnson, the U.S. President to increase the American troops from 120,000 to 400,000 to succeed in the Vietnam War.
People & Society
- 1987 – A man was in news for still staying alive even after his seventh suicidal attempt. He belonged to Somerset, England.
Disasters: Natural & Man-made
- 1989 – A Boeing 727 flight (Avianca Flight 203) exploded in mid-air when it was flying over Colombia, the US. The incident killed 110 people. Later, The Medellín Cartel, the drug mafia gang, and the terrorist organization took the blame for the attack.
- 1994 – A disco caught a nasty fire that killed around 233 people. The disco is located in Fuxin, China.
Discoveries & Explorations
- 2001 – A hydrogen atmosphere is discovered on the extra-solar planet Osiris by the Hubble Space Telescope, the first atmosphere detected on an extra-solar planet.
Leisure & Sports
- 1991 – The Undertaker (Mark William Calaway) beats Hulk Hogan to become the new WWF champion.
- 1993 – Lisa Hanna (Jamaica) won the 43rd Miss World crown at 18. Later, she became the Minister of Youth and Culture of Jamaica.
- 2011 – Sebastian Vettel, the Germany Red Bull driver won the F1 World Drivers’ Championship.
Birth Anniversaries (27 November)
- 1897 – Vito Genovese (American gangster)
- 1940 – Bruce Lee (American-born actor)
- 1942 – Jimi Hendrix (American musician)
- 1985 – Alison Pill (Canadian actress)
- 1986 – Suresh Kumar Raina (Indian cricketer)
Death Anniversaries (27 November)
- 1921 – Mary Grant Roberts (Australian zoo owner)
- 1997 – Buck Leonard (American baseball player)
- 2007 – Bernie Banton (Australian activist)
- 2008 – V. P. Singh (7th Prime Minister of India)
What Special Day is Today: (27 November)
- Teachers’ Day (Spain)
- Naval Infantry Day (Russia)
- Lancashire Day (United Kingdom)
- Maaveerar Day (Tamil Eelam, Sri Lanka)
The factual story of the day (27 November) covers the entire globe and a lot of well-known personalities.
The day has remained a silent observer of what happened on this day in history.
Providing our readers with authentic facts and figures, for each day, is what boosts us here.
We would love to hear from you. We request you drop your feedback on the article. If you have any rare information like the above, then do share it with us.
On This Day:
30 November | 29 November | 28 November | 26 November | 25 November | 24 November | 23 November | 22 November | 21 November | 20 November | 19 November | 18 November | 17 November | 16 November | 15 November | 14 November | 13 November | 12 November | 11 November | 10 November | 9 November | 8 November | 7 November | 6 November | 5 November | 4 November | 3 November | 2 November | 1 November