28 November: In a year, the 28th of November is the 332nd day as per the Georgian Calendar. In a leap year, it is the 333rd day of the year.
What special day is today? This day has its distinctiveness and importance in history.
Let’s explore people who have carved a niche for themselves on 28th November. We may also need to scan through the events that happened today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 28 November
Art & Artists
- 1989 – Release of All Hail the Queen, the American rapper Queen Latifah’s first album which got a lot of attention and appreciation.
- 2012 – The world premiere of the movie The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in New Zealand. Peter Jackson directed this 1937 movie which was based on the novel The Hobbit penned by J. R. R. Tolkien.
Science & Technology
- 1814 – A steam-power run printing press was used for the publication of The Times. It became the world’s first newspaper to be produced utilizing this technology.
- 1958 – SM-65 Atlas took its first flight and was very successful. It was the first operational ICBM (Intercontinental Ballistic Missile), developed by the US.
Leaders & Politics
- 1919 – Lady Astor (aka Nancy Witcher Langhorne Astor, Viscountess Astor) became a member of the British House of Commons. She became the first woman representative to sit in the house.
- 1943 – The presidents from the US, Soviet Russia, and Britain met at Tehran Conference (during World War II) to talk about war strategy.
People & Society
- 1720 – Mary Read and Anne Bonny, the two female pirates were undergone trial, and conviction and subsequently sentenced to death. As both of them were pregnant (at that time) their executions were delayed. Eventually, Bonny was freed but Marry died in the prison.
Disasters: Natural & Man-made
- 1942 – Approximately 492 people were killed in a fire incident that happened in the Cocoanut Grove nightclub.
- 2020 – A massacre was done by the Ethiopian National Defence Force and Eritrean Army in Aksum, Ethiopia killed more than 700 civilians in Aksum, Ethiopia.
Discoveries & Explorations
- 1872 – Wilhelm Reiss climbed the summit of Cotopaxi. The highest active volcano in the world is located in Ecuador.
- 1964 – The Mariner 4 (a spacecraft to probe toward Mars) was launched by NASA.
Leisure & Sports
- 1895 – The first automobile race (54 miles) took place in America between Jackson Park (Chicago) and Evanston (Illinois). Frank Duryea won this historic motor race.
Birth Anniversaries (28 November)
- 1700 – Nathaniel Bliss (English astronomer and mathematician)
- 1820 – Friedrich Engels (German philosopher, co-author of “The Communist Manifesto” (with Karl Marx).
- 1908 – Claude Lévi-Strauss (French social anthropologist)
- 1950 – Ed Harris (American actor)
- 1984 – Andrew Bogut (Australian basketball player)
Death Anniversaries (28 November)
- 1890 – Jyotirao Govindrao Phule (Indian philosopher and social activist)
- 1912 – Walter Benona Sharp (American businessman)
- 1972 – Havergal Brian (English composer)
- 2013 – Jean-Louis Roux (Canadian actor turned politician)
What Special Day is Today: (28 November)
- 1821 – Independence Day (Panama)
- 1843 – Ka Lā Hui (Hawaiian Independence Day)
- 1912 – Albania declares its independence from the Ottoman Empire
- 1960 – Independence Day (Mauritania)
The factual story of the day (28 November) covers the entire globe and a lot of well-known personalities.
The day has remained a silent observer of what happened on this day in history.
Providing our readers with authentic facts and figures, for each day, is what boosts us here.
We would love to hear from you. We request you drop your feedback on the article. If you have any rare information like the above, then do share it with us.
On This Day:
30 November | 29 November | 27 November | 26 November | 25 November | 24 November | 23 November | 22 November | 21 November | 20 November | 19 November | 18 November | 17 November | 16 November | 15 November | 14 November | 13 November | 12 November | 11 November | 10 November | 9 November | 8 November | 7 November | 6 November | 5 November | 4 November | 3 November | 2 November | 1 November