29 March: Do you know that on this day in history Niagara Falls stopped flowing?
If you are curious to know what else happened, let’s unwrap to see what special day is today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 29 March
People, Places & Politics
- 1549 – The city of Salvador da Bahia, the first capital of Brazil, was founded.
- 1632 – The Treaty of Saint-Germain-en-Laye was signed, returned Quebec to French control after the English seized it in 1629.
- 1795 – Ludwig van Beethoven had his debut performance as a pianist in Vienna.
- 1798 – Republic of Switzerland formed.
- 1849 – Great Britain formally annexed Punjab after defeat of Sikhs in India.
- 1857 – On this day, Mangal Pandey of the 34th Native Infantry refused orders on the parade ground at Barrackpore. This was the first major incident that is called as Indian Sepoy Mutiny.
- 1871 – Royal Albert Hall opened by Queen Victoria in London.
- 1945 – World War II: Last day of V-1 flying bomb attacked on England.
- 1961 – After a 4½ year trial, Nelson Mandela is acquitted of treason in Pretoria.
- 1998 – Vasco da Gama bridge opened in Lisbon, Portugal as the longest bridge in Europe.
- 1848 – Niagara Falls stopped flowing for 30 hours due to an ice jam.
- 1929 – US President Herbert Hoover had the 1st telephone installed on the desk at the Oval Office’s in the White House.
- 1974 – Chinese farmers discovered the Terracotta Army near Xi’an, 8,000 clay warrior statues buried to guard the tomb of China’s 1st emperor, Qin Shi Huang.
- 1978 – Variety TV show “The Carol Burnett Show” last aired on CBS in the US, having won 25 Emmy Awards.
- 1993 – Actress Elizabeth Taylor presented with the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award for her AIDS/HIV activism at 65th Academy Awards.
Birth Anniversaries (29 March)
- 1790 – John Tyler, the 10th president of the United States (1841–45).
- 1912 – Hanna Reitsch, aviator who was the leading female German pilot in the 20th century.
- 1929 – Utpal Dutt, Indian actor, director, and writer who was a radical figure in Bengali theatre and cinema for more than 40 years.
- 1949 – Michael Leonard Brecker, American musician.
Death Anniversaries (29 March)
- 1772 – Emanuel Swedenborg, Swedish philosopher.
- 1794 – Marie-Jean-Antoine-Nicolas de Caritat, Marquis de Condorcet, French philosopher and humanist.
- 1891 – Georges Seurat, painter, founder of the 19th-century French school of Neo-Impressionism.
- 2020 – Philip W. Anderson, American physicist.
What Special Day is Today: 29 March
- Piano Day – March 29, 2022 (88th Day of the Year)
Did you find the article interesting? We hope you have found out what special day is today. We wish you all a very exciting day too.
If you have any interesting facts to share or anything to add to the above list, please share it in the comments. We would love to hear from you.
On This Day:
31 March | 30 March | 28 March | 27 March | 26 March | 25 March | 24 March | 23 March | 22 March | 21 March | 20 March | 19 March | 18 March | 17 March | 16 March | 15 March | 14 March | 13 March | 12 March | 11 March | 10 March | 9 March | 8 March | 7 March | 6 March | 5 March | 4 March | 3 March | 2 March | 1 March