3 December: In a year, the 3rd of December is the 337th day as per the Gregorian Calendar. In a leap year, it is the 338th day of the year.
What special day is today?
This day has witnessed numerous important happenings throughout the world across different verticals like science, politics, economy, exploration, discoveries, sports, etc.
This day is special in history in all aspects.
Let’s explore people, places, and events for this day. Let’s see, what happened today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 3 December
Art & Artists
- 1960 – Beginning of the musical Camelot at the Majestic Theatre (Broadway, New York City, U.S.).
- 2000 – Demise of Gwendolyn Brooks at Chicago, a great poet who has penned the struggles faced by and winning moments of African Americans.
Science & Technology
- 1967 – The first human heart transplant in the world was performed by Christiaan Barnard of South Africa, at Groote Schuur Hospital in Cape Town.
- 1992 – The first text message in the world was sent by a test engineer from Sema Group. He transmitted the text message to his colleague’s phone using a personal computer via the Vodafone network.
Leaders & Politics
- 1971 – India was attacked by Pakistan in a pre-emptive strike that led to the commencement of the Indo-Pakistani War, in 1971.
- 1979 – Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, the Iranian revolutionary leader became the first Supreme Leader of Iran.
People & Society
- 1552 – Demise of St. Francis Xavier, one of the foremost modern-time Roman Catholic missionaries died of fever off the Chinese coast.
Disasters: Natural & Man-made
- 1984 – A leak of poisonous gas (methyl isocyanate) from a Bhopal (India) based pesticide plant “Union Carbide” led to one of the biggest industrial disaster. At least 3,800 died immediately, 6,000 later, and between 150,000–600,000 were injured in this incident.
- 2012 – Typhoon Bopha (nicknamed “Pablo”) made landfall in Mindanao Island, Southern Philippines shattered the region and killed around 1,067.
Discoveries & Explorations
- 1973 – NASA received the first close-up pictures of Jupiter through Pioneer 10 the first spacecraft to traverse the asteroid belt.
- 2014 – Launch of the space explorer Hayabusa2 to an asteroid by JAXA, the Japanese space agency.
Leisure & Sports
- 1986 – Sri Lanka was dismissed for a meager 55 when they were given a chasing target of 248/5 by the West Indies. This happened in a Champions Trophy cricket match in which Courtney Walsh took a five-wicket haul for one run in just 4.3 overs.
Birth Anniversaries (3 December)
- 1755 – Gilbert Stuart (American painter)
- 1857 – Joseph Conrad (English writer)
- 1884 – Rajendra Prasad (President of India)
- 1905 – Les Ames (English cricketer)
- 1960 – Julianne Moore (American actress)
Death Anniversaries (3 December)
- 311 – Diocletian (Roman Emperor)
- 1894 – Robert Louis Stevenson (Scottish author, and poet)
- 1979 – Dhyan Chand (Hockey player, India)
- 1998 – Pierre Hétu (Pianist and conductor, Canada)
- 2015 – Eevi Huttunen (Finnish speed skater)
What Special Day is Today: (3 December)
- International Day of Persons with Disability
- Doctors’ Day (Cuba)
The fact-filled story of the day (03 December) covers many rare events that happened in different arenas such as science, exploration, politics, economy, sports, etc.
Several important socio-political decisions were taken on this day in history.
We strive to provide you with reliable facts and figures. We eagerly wait for your “say” in this article. Just “pen” your comments and mail us.
On This Day:
31 December | 30 December | 29 December | 28 December | 27 December | 26 December | 25 December | 24 December | 23 December | 22 December | 21 December | 20 December | 19 December | 18 December | 17 December | 16 December | 15 December | 14 December | 13 December | 12 December | 11 December | 10 December | 9 December | 8 December | 7 December | 6 December | 5 December | 4 December | 2 December | 1 December