30 March: What happened on this day in history? Look at some of the amazing discoveries.
In case you are celebrating your birthday today, you will be surprised to know whom you are sharing your birthday with. So, let’s unwrap to see what special day is today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 30 March
- 240 BC – The first recorded perihelion passage of Halley’s Comet.
People, Place & Politics
- 1282 – The people of Sicily rebelled against the Angevin king Charles I, which is known as the Sicilian Vespers.
- 1856 – Russia signed the Treaty of Paris, ending the Crimean War.
- 1867 – Alaska Purchase: US bought Alaska from Russia for $7,200,000 ($109 million in 2018), roughly 2 cents an acre.
- 1909 – New York’s Queensboro Bridge opened, linking Manhattan & Queens.
- 1919 – Gandhi announced resistance against Rowlatt Act.
- 1796 – Carl Friedrich Gauss, German mathematician, discovered the construction of the heptadecagon.
- 1894 – George Bernard Shaw’s comedy play “Candida” premiered at Theatre Royal, South Shields, England.
- 1950 – Bell Telephone Laboratories announced invention of the phototransistor in Murray Hill, New Jersey.
- 1953 – Albert Einstein announced revised unified field theory.
- 1970 – USSR won its 8th straight world hockey championship.
- 1980 – Mark Medoff’s “Children of a Lesser God” premiered in NYC.
- 1987 – Vincent van Gogh’s “Sunflowers” sold for a record 22.5 million pounds ($39.7 million).
Birth Anniversaries (30 March)
- 1135 – Moses Maimonides, Jewish philosopher, scholar, and physician.
- 1811 – Robert Bunsen, German chemist who, with Gustav Kirchhoff, about 1859 observed that each element emits a light of characteristic wavelength.
- 1853 – Vincent van Gogh, Dutch painter.
- 1882 – Melanie Klein, British psychologist.
Death Anniversaries (30 March)
- 1707 – Sébastien Le Prestre de Vauban, French military engineer who revolutionized the art of siege craft and defensive fortifications.
- 1842 – Élisabeth Vigée-Lebrun, French painter.
- 1912 – Karl May, German author of travel and adventure stories for young people.
What Special Day is Today: 30 March
- World Bipolar Day
- International Folding Laundry Day
We hope you have found out what special day is today. On this day in history there have been stories of hope, revolution, innovation and reforms. We wish you an amazing day ahead too.
If you have any interesting facts to share or anything to add to the above list, please share it in the comments. We would love to hear from you.
On This Day:
31 March | 29 March | 28 March | 27 March | 26 March | 25 March | 24 March | 23 March | 22 March | 21 March | 20 March | 19 March | 18 March | 17 March | 16 March | 15 March | 14 March | 13 March | 12 March | 11 March | 10 March | 9 March | 8 March | 7 March | 6 March | 5 March | 4 March | 3 March | 2 March | 1 March