31 December: In a year, the 31st of December is the 365th day as per the Georgian Calendar. In a leap year, it is the 366th day of the year.
What special day is today?
On this day, the WHO got reports of first cases of COVID 19 in Wuhan; The first public demonstration of incandescent lighting by Thomas Edison and the British East India Company was incorporated by the (official) royal charter.
Famous birthdays include PSY, Anthony Hopkins, and Laxman Sivaramakrishnan.
December 31 also marks New Year’s Eve (International).
Let’s explore what happened today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 31 December
Art & Artists
- 1978 – The opening of the stage version of The Point opened in London. It was musician Harry Nilsson’s sixth studio album.
- 1984 – Announcement made by CBS Records regarding the release of She’s the Boss, the first upcoming solo album from Mick Jagger.
Science & Technology
- 1879 – The first public demonstration of incandescent lighting by Thomas Edison in Menlo Park, New Jersey.
- 2019 – The World Health Organization got reports of cases of pneumonia with a strange cause was detected in Wuhan. The cause was none other than COVID-19 virus.
Leaders & Politics
- 1600 – The British East India Company was incorporated by the (official) royal charter.
- 1999 – Resignation of Boris Yeltsin, Russia’s first President that led Vladimir Putin (the then Prime Minister) as the acting President and heir.
People & Society
- 1759 – Arthur Guinness started brewing Guinness after putting his signature on a 9,000-year lease agreement. The compensation amount was fixed at £45 per annum.
- 1999 – The high drama involving the hijacking of the Indian Airlines Flight 814 ended after a week. One hundred and ninety survivors were released at Kandahar Airport, Afghanistan.
Disasters: Natural & Man-made
- 1968 – Crash of Flight 1750 of MacRobertson Miller Airlines near Port Hedland, Western Australia killed 26 people.
- 2018 – Collapse of a ten-story building in Magnitogorsk (an industrial city), Russia left 39 dead.
Discoveries & Explorations
- 1968 – The first supersonic-capable airliner the Russian Tupolev TU-144 (prototype 00-1) flew for the first time.
Leisure & Sports
- 1906 – Antony Wilding clinched the Australasian Championships Men’s Tennis title by beating Francis Fisher with 6-0, 6-4, 6-4 points.
- 1990 – Titleholder Gary Kasparov of the U.S.S.R won the world chess championship beating compatriot Anatoly Karpov.
Birth Anniversaries (31 December)
- 1937 – Anthony Hopkins (Actor, Welsh)
- 1943 – Ben Kingsley (Actor, Britain)
- 1965 – Laxman Sivaramakrishnan (Cricketer India)
- 1965 – Nicholas Sparks (Author, America)
- 1977 – PSY (Singer and rapper, South Korea)
Death Anniversaries (31 December)
- 1384 – John Wycliffe (Theologian, England)
- 1980 – Marshall McLuhan (Educator, Canada)
- 1985 – Sam Spiegel (Film Producer, America)
- 2018 – Kader Khan (Actor, India)
- 2021 – Betty White (Actress, comedian and producer, America)
What Special Day is Today: (31 December)
- New Year’s Eve (International)
- The seventh of the Twelve Days of Christmas (Western Christianity)
- The sixth and penultimate day of Kwanzaa (United States)
The story of the last day (31 December) of a year is as interesting as the first day.
Change could be seen in the areas of politics, science, economy, sports, and entertainment.
The day carved a niche for itself with many important events that has happened on this day in history.
We wish our readers a Very Happy New Year! Readers like you mean a lot for us.
Please share your feedback so that we can offer you high quality content. Do write to us.
On This Day:
30 December | 29 December | 28 December | 27 December | 26 December | 25 December | 24 | December | 23 December | 22 December | 21 December | 20 December | 19 December | 18 December | 17 December | 16 December | 15 December | 14 December | 13 December | 12 December | 11 December | 10 December | 9 December | 8 December | 7 December | 6 December | 5 December | 4 December | 3 December | 2 December | 1 December