4 December: In a year, the 4th of December is the 338th day as per the Georgian Calendar. In a leap year, it is the 339th day of the year.
What special day is today?
This day covers many vital events like “the formal disbanding of Led Zeppelin rock-band”; “launch of Mars Pathfinder to Mars”; “the Paris Peace Conference”; “about the International Space Station”; “volcanic eruption in Indonesia”, etc.
Let’s explore what happened today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 4 December
Art & Artists
- 1970 – Jay-Z, an American rapper, and entrepreneur was born. In the 1990s and early 2000s, the famous rapper was the foremost figure in the hip-hop circuit.
- 1980 – Led Zeppelin, the British rock band announced its formal disbanding after several months after the demise of John Bonham (drummer). The band regrouped again on many occasions for one-off performances.
Science & Technology
- 1996 – Launch of Mars Pathfinder, the unmanned space vehicle from Cape Canaveral, Florida. Its mission was to explore the surface of Mars.
Leaders & Politics
- 1918 – President Woodrow Wilson left the USA to attend the Paris Peace Conference in France. It was held after the end of warfare in World War I. The drafting of the treaty of Versailles and the establishment of the League of Nations were the highlights of the conference.
- 1971 – The Pakistan Navy and Karachi city were attacked by the Indian Navy in the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971. The PNS Ghazi, a submarine of the Pakistan Navy was sunk by the onslaught by India.
People & Society
- 1154 – Adrian IV became the only Englishman to get elected as the Pope.
- 1791 – The beginning of the publication of The Observer. It was the first Sunday newspaper in the world.
- 1982 – The adoption of the current constitution by the People’s Republic of China.
Disasters: Natural & Man-made
- 2021 – Explosive eruption occurred in the Semeru volcano that killed no less than 69 and injured 104. The volcano is located on the island of Java, Indonesia.
Discoveries & Explorations
- 1998 – Launch of the International Space Station’s second module – the Unity Module.
Leisure & Sports
- 1909 – The Toronto Varsity Blues won the first Grey Cup in an amateur gridiron football championship game in Canada. They beat the Toronto Parkdale team in the final.
Birth Anniversaries (4 December)
- 1892 – Francisco Franco (Ruler of Spain)
- 1949 – Jeff Bridges (American actor)
- 1967 – Guillermo Amor (Spanish footballer and manager)
- 1973 – Tyra Banks (American model and television personality)
- 1977 – Ajit Agarkar (Indian cricketer)
Death Anniversaries (4 December)
- 1131 – Omar Khayyam (Persian Poet and Astronomer)
- 1679 – Thomas Hobbes (English philosopher and political theorist)
- 1976 – Benjamin Britten (British Composer)
- 2015 – Robert Loggia (Actor from America)
- 2017 – Shashi Kapoor (Indian actor)
What Special Day is Today: (4 December)
- Navy Day (India)
- Tupou I Day (Tonga)
- Thai Environment Day (Thailand)
- National Cookie Day (United States)
The true & scintillating story of the day (4 December) tries to cover important people, places, and events linked to this day.
It refreshes lots of interesting events that have happened on this day in history.
We are always concerned to give our readers reliable information and details, each day.
We would request you send your feedback on this article.
On This Day:
31 December | 30 December | 29 December | 28 December | 27 December | 26 December | 25 December | 24 December | 23 December | 22 December | 21 December | 20 December | 19 December | 18 December | 17 December | 16 December | 15 December | 14 December | 13 December | 12 December | 11 December | 10 December | 9 December | 8 December | 7 December | 6 December | 5 December | 3 December | 2 December | 1 December