5 December: In a year, the 5th of December is the 339th day as per the Gregorian Calendar. In a leap year, it is the 340th day of the year.
What special day is today?
On this day, the Royal Institution was established in Great Britain, 1848 gold rush in California, and the killing of 70,000 people in an earthquake in Central Italy.
Famous birthdays include Walt Disney, Christina Rossetti, and Bhumibol Adulyadej.
December 5 also marks World Soil Day.
Let’s explore what happened today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 5 December
Art & Artists
- 1791 – The death of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, the Austrian composer in Vienna.
- 1890 – Fritz Lang, the Austrian film director-producer born in Vienna. His films deal with luck and man’s predestined accomplishment of his fate.
Science & Technology
- 1799 – Establishment of Great Britain’s Royal Institution which is committed to scientific research and education.
- 1820 – The launch of the ship “HMS Beagle“ which was (later) used by Charles Darwin for his illustrious scientific voyage.
Leaders & Politics
- 1848 – James K. Polk, the U.S. President, in his yearly message to Congress affirmed gold discovery in California. The message flashed the Gold Rush attracted approximately 300,000 people to the territory.
People & Society
- 1484 – Pope Innocent VIII condemned witchcraft and later he send off inquisitors to Germany to try witches.
- 1766 – The first sale was held by James Christie (in London), the world-renowned auctioneer.
Disasters: Natural & Man-made
- 1456 – An earthquake measuring 7.2 hit Central Italy which killed at least 70,000 people.
- 1952 – Approximately 4,000 people died when London experienced deadly smog. The incident incited the enactment of the Clean Air Act.
Discoveries & Explorations
- 1743 – Joseph-Nicolas Delisle (a French astronomer) organized synchronized scientific monitoring and observation of the regular transit of Mercury.
- 2014 – The launch of Orion’s first space flight test (Exploration Flight Test-1) from Cape Canaveral Space Force Station (CCSFS), Florida, United States.
Leisure & Sports
- 2017 – Russia was banned by the IOC (International Olympic Committee) to participate in the Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Games (2018, South Korea). IOC leveled a doping program (state-sponsored) by the Russian government.
Birth Anniversaries (5 December)
- 1830 – Christina Rossetti (English Poet)
- 1901 – Walt Disney (American film producer)
- 1901 – Werner Heisenberg (German physicist)
- 1927 – Bhumibol Adulyadej (King of Thailand)
Death Anniversaries (5 December)
- 1686 – Nicolaus Steno (Danish Geologist)
- 1950 – Sri Aurobindo (Indian Philosopher And Yogi)
- 2007 – Karlheinz Stockhausen (German Composer)
- 2012 – Oscar Niemeyer (Brazilian architect)
- 2013 – Nelson Mandela (South African nationalist and Nobel laureate)
- 2016 – Jayalalitha Jayaram (Indian Actress and Politician)
What Special Day is Today: (5 December)
- World Soil Day
- International Volunteer Day for Economic and Social Development
- The King Bhumibol Adulyadej Memorial Birthday (Thailand)
- Day of Military Honour – Battle of Moscow (Russia)
- Discovery Day (Haiti and the Dominican Republic)
- Klozum (Schiermonnikoog, Netherlands)
- Children’s Day (Suriname)
The story of the day (5 December) is quite interesting and informative. A bunch of eminent personalities were in news on this day in history.
We continuously are aiming to provide you with most interesting facts and figures for each day.
That’s what encourages us to serve you better. If you have any comment on the articles then share that now.
On This Day:
31 December | 30 December | 29 December | 28 December | 27 December | 26 December | 25 December | 24 December | 23 December | 22 December | 21 December | 20 December | 19 December | 18 December | 17 December | 16 December | 15 December | 14 December | 13 December | 12 December | 11 December | 10 December | 9 December | 8 December | 7 December | 6 December | 4 December | 3 December | 2 December | 1 December