5 November: In a year, 5th November is the 309th day as per the Georgian Calendar. In a leap year, it is the 310th day of the year. This day has its distinctiveness and importance in history.
Let’s explore people who have carved a niche for themselves on 5th November. We may also need to scan through the events that happened on this day.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 5 November
Art & Artists
- 1913 – Birth day of Vivien Leigh, the British Indian actress (born in India) who rose to fame with her leading roles in Blanche DuBois and Scarlett O’Hara
- 1930 – Sinclair Lewis won to win the Nobel Prize for Literature…became the first American to do so.
- 1955 – Vienna State Opera reopens after being damaged in the 2nd World War. Beethoven’s Fidelio was the first performance staged there.
Science & Technology
- 1998 – According to a report published in Nature (a British weekly scientific journal), a DNA test had confirmed about a Thomas Jefferson member fathered a child of the slave Sally Hemings.
- 2013 – Mars Orbiter Mission was launched by India. It’s India’s maiden interplanetary probe.
- 2007 – China launched its first lunar satellite Chang’e 1 enters lunar orbit.
- 2007 – Google launched the Android operating system for mobile.
Leaders & Politics
- 1556 – 2nd Battle of Panipat was fought between the army of Vikramaditya (a Hindu king from Delhi) with the army of Akbar, the mighty Muslim emperor.
- 1917 – Lenin announced the Bolshevik Revolution or October Revolution in Russia
- 1940 – Franklin D. Roosevelt was elected for a third term as the President of the USA (became the first and only President to do so).
- 1943 – Bombing of Vatican City by a fascist Italian aircraft (World War II)
- 1996 – Bill Clinton became the President of the USA for the second time.
People & Society
- 1956 – A hefty $574,658 won by Nellie McGrail with her paltry 2½ cent soccer game pool ticket.
- 2003 – Gary Ridgway, a serial killer pleads guilty. He was popularly known as the Green Valley Killer who had killed 48 women in the last two decades of the last century.
Disasters: Natural & Man-made
- 1530 – The Dutch city Reimerswaal is destroyed as St Felix Flood ruins the Netherland coast
- 2012 – Nigeria floods: 363 people killed and 2.1 million displaced because of a large-scale flood
Discoveries & Explorations
- 1492 – Christopher Columbus learned the growing and harvesting of maize (corn) from the indigenous population of Cuba.
- 1895 – George B. Selden got America’s first patent for an automobile.
Leisure & Sports
- 1886 – David Brown from Scotland beats compatriot Willie Campbell in Open Men’s Golf.
- 1937 – Death of Irish-American boxer Jack McAuliffe at 71. He was an undefeated World Lightweight champion boxer (1886-93).
Birth Anniversaries (5 November)
- 1813 – Vivien Leigh (British actress)
- 1855 – Eugene V. Debs (Social and labor leader from the USA)
- 1911 – Roy Rogers (Actor and singer from America)
- 1942 – Percy Hobson (High jumper from Australia)
- 1959 – Bryan Adams (Canadian actor and singer-songwriter)
- 1988 – Virat Kohli (Indian cricketer)
Death Anniversaries (5 November)
- 1923 – Jacques d’Adelsward Fersen (French Poet and author)
- 1971 – Sam Jones (American baseball player)
- 1981 – Rangjung Rigpe Dorje (Spiritual leader from Tibet)
- 1997 – Peter Jackson (Rugby player from Australia)
- 2011 – Bhupen Hazarika (Indian singer, poet, and songwriter)
- 2014 – Manitas de Plata (French guitarist)
What Special Day is Today: (5 November)
- World Tsunami Day
- Bank Transfer Day (USA)
- Colon Day (Panama)
- Cinco de Noviembre (Negros, Philippines)
- Kanakadasa Jayanthi (Karnataka, India)
5th November. The factual story of the day covers the entire globe and a lot of well-known personalities. The day has remained a silent observer of what happened on this day.
Providing our readers with authentic facts and figures, for each day, is what boosts us here. We would love to hear from you.
We request you drop your feedback on the article. If you have any rare information like the above, then do share it with us.
On This Day:
30 November | 29 November | 28 November | 27 November | 26 November | 25 November | 24 November | 23 November | 22 November | 21 November | 20 November | 19 November | 18 November | 17 November | 16 November | 15 November | 14 November | 13 November | 12 November | 11 November | 10 November | 9 November | 8 November | 7 November | 6 November | 4 November | 3 November | 2 November | 1 November