6 December: In a year, the 6th of December is the 340th day as per the Gregorian Calendar. In a leap year, it is the 341st day of the year.
What special day is today?
On this day, the Washington Monument was completed; NASA announces the presence of water on Mars, and finding of the oldest-known plague sample from five thousand years old body remains.
Famous birthdays include Judd Apatow and Shekhar Kapur.
December 4 also marks Constitution Day in Spain, Armed Forces Day in Ukraine, and Independence Day in Finland.
Let’s explore what happened today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 6 December
Art & Artists
- 1884 – The completion of the Washington Monument in the US capital city – Washington, D.C.
- 1898 – Alfred Eisenstaedt, the photographer whose numerous photos were published in the famous magazine “Life” was born in Dirschau, West Prussia, Poland. He became one of the leading photojournalists in the world.
Science & Technology
- 2006 – The release of images by NASA shows that there is a reasonably fresh occurrence of water on Mars. The photographs were taken by the American robotic space probe Mars Global Surveyor.
Leaders & Politics
- 1921 – The Anglo-Irish Treaty was signed by the British government and the leaders from Ireland such as Michael Collins, Arthur Griffith, and others. The treaty made ground for the establishment of the Irish Free State. On this day, it got independent membership in the British Commonwealth.
People & Society
- 1897 – London became the world’s first city to run licensed taxicabs.
- 1992 – The destruction of the Mosque of Bābur (“the Babri Masjid”) in Ayodhya, India. The incident sparked religious riots across India.
Disasters: Natural & Man-made
- 1907 – Over 350 people were killed in a coal mine explosion in Monongah, West Virginia. Young boys constitute most of the persons killed.
- 1997 – A Russian cargo plane (Antonov An-124 Russian) crashed into a residential area near Irkutsk, Siberia that killed at least 67.
Discoveries & Explorations
- 2018 – Oldest-known plague sample was found in the remains of a 20-year-old woman (found in Gokhem, southern Sweden) who lived at least 4,900 years ago. The news was published about it in “Cell”.
Leisure & Sports
- 1956 – India beat Pakistan in the field hockey final at Melbourne Summer Olympics. It was a consecutive sixth gold medal haul by India in the Olympics.
Birth Anniversaries (6 December)
- 1421 – Henry VI (King of England)
- 1863 – Charles Martin Hall (Engineer and chemist from America)
- 1864 – William S. Hart (American actor)
- 1945 – Shekhar Kapur (Indian director, producer)
- 1967 – Judd Apatow (Writer, director, and producer from America)
Death Anniversaries (6 December)
- 1779 – Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin (French painter)
- 1956 – B. R. Ambedkar (Indian economist and politician)
- 2001 – Charles McClendon (Footballer from America)
- 2012 – Huw Lloyd-Langton (English guitarist)
- 2015 – Nicholas Smith (British actor)
What Special Day is Today: (6 December)
- Constitution Day (Spain)
- Armed Forces Day (Ukraine)
- Independence Day (Finland)
- Anniversary of the Founding of Quito (Ecuador)
- National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women (Canada)
The chronicle of the day (6 December) covers a lot of ups and downs in the world. It encompasses what happened to people, places, and the planet on this day in history.
Providing factual information to our readers is our ultimate aim. Your valuable suggestions help us to offer you high quality content.
We would love to hear from you. Just drop your suggestions in the comment section below!
On This Day:
31 December | 30 December | 29 December | 28 December | 27 December | 26 December | 25 December | 24 December | 23 December | 22 December | 21 December | 20 December | 19 December | 18 December | 17 December | 16 December | 15 December | 14 December | 13 December | 12 December | 11 December | 10 December | 9 December | 8 December | 7 December | 5 December | 4 December | 3 December | 2 December | 1 December