6 March: March 6 has been a potpourri of some of the most interesting events, so what happened on this day in history?
Want to know if it has any interesting events from the fields you like? Let’s unwrap to see what special day is today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 6 March
From strong political changes to technology, here is a rundown of some prominent events.
- 1951 – The trial of suspected spies Ethel and Julius Rosenberg started in New York for conspiring to obtain national defense secrets for the Soviets.
- 1974 – British miners have called off a four-week strike following an agreement of a 35% increase in miners wages.
- 1993 – A battle for the city of Huambo continues with the loss of over 350 lives.
- 1869 – The first periodic table of chemical elements was presented by Dmitri Mendeleev to the Russian Chemical Society on this day.
- 1899 – The Patent Office in Berlin registered Aspirin, on behalf of the German pharmaceutical company Friedrich Bayer & Co.
- 1936 – England Spitfire: The Spitfire Fighter Aircraft takes off on its maiden flight from Eastleigh now called Southampton Airport.
- 1957 – Ghana gained its independence from Britain on this day.
- 1964 – Constantine II became the new King following the death of his father King Paul.
- 1970 – An indefinite ban on the importation of domestic pets was announced by the British Government following a pet dog imported from Pakistan died from Rabies.
- 1987 – The British ferry capsized after leaving Zeebrugge, Belgium.
- 1947 – HourGlass aired on television for the last time with featured performers such as Ed Canton, Ed Sullivan, Bob Hope, and Abbott and Costello.
- 1981 – Walter Cronkite retired as the nation’s most beloved anchorman from CBS Evening News.
- 2012 – The Oreo cookie celebrated its 100th anniversary.
Birth Anniversaries (6 March)
- 1475 – Michelangelo, Italian painter, sculptor – The art genius is well known for his paintings and sculptures including The Frescoes on the ceiling of Sistine Chapel in the Vatican.
- 1926 – Alan Greenspan, American economist was born this day.
- 1927 – Gabriel García Márquez, Colombian novelist who was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature (1982) was born on this day.
- 1936 – Marion Barry, American politician, 2nd Mayor of the District of Columbia was born on this day.
- 1937 – Valentina Tereshkova, the first and youngest woman to travel into space was born on this day.
- 1946 – David Gilmour, English singer-songwriter and guitarist was born on this day.
- 1972 – Shaquille O’Neal, American basketball player, actor and rapper was born on this day.
Death Anniversaries (6 March)
- 1888 – Louisa May Alcott, American novelist, short story writer, and poet.
- 1961 – George Formby, the British entertainer known for his Ukulele has died suffering a heart attack.
- 1982 – Ayn Rand, Russian/American author and philosopher.
- 1986 – Georgia O’Keeffe, American painter.
- 1900 – Gottlieb Daimler, German engineer, businessman who co-founded Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft.
- 2007 – Jean Baudrillard, French philosopher.
What Special Day is Today: 6 March
- Independence Day of Ghana
- National Dentist’s Day is celebrated in the United States
- National Frozen Food Day is celebrated in the United States
- National Dress Day is celebrated in the United States
We hope this article fascinated you to find out what special day is today. This day has been about very interesting people and events. We wish this day to be as great and interesting for all of you.
If you have any interesting facts to share or anything to add to the above list, please share it in the comments. We would love to hear from you.
On This Day:
31 March | 30 March | 29 March | 28 March | 27 March | 26 March | 25 March | 24 March | 23 March | 22 March | 21 March | 20 March | 19 March | 18 March | 17 March | 16 March | 15 March | 14 March | 13 March | 12 March | 11 March | 10 March | 9 March | 8 March | 7 March | 5 March | 4 March | 3 March | 2 March | 1 March