7 December: In a year, the 7th of December is the 341st day as per the Georgian Calendar. In a leap year, it is the 342nd day of the year.
What special day is today?
On this day, Pearl Harbor was attacked by Japan, the 1988 Armenian earthquake killed 25,000–50,000, and “the Grateful Dead” (an American rock band) broke up.
Famous birthdays include Gian Lorenzo Bernini, Larry Bird, and Tony Yike Yang.
December 7 also marks International Civil Aviation Day.
Let’s explore what happened today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 7 December
Art & Artists
- 1988 – Emily Browning won AFI International Award (best actress) for her portrayal of Violet Baudelaire in A Series of Unfortunate Events, based on Daniel Handler aka Lemony Snicket’s children’s novels with the same title.
- 1995 – The Grateful Dead, the American rock band broke up after Jerry Garcia (co-founder of the band) passed away on this date.
Science & Technology
- 1932 – Grant of an American visa to Albert Einstein. The great scientist was a German-born Swiss physicist who made many great inventions and formulated many scientific theories including the theory of relativity.
- 2020 – Chuck Yeager became the world’s first person to surpass the speed of sound in flight. The American aviator died on this date.
Leaders & Politics
- 1941 – Pearl Harbor (on the island of Oahu, Hawaii), the U.S. naval base was bombarded by Japan, The aerial attack killed 2,403 Americans, wounded 1,178, and destroyed many militaries and civic utilities, amenities, and establishments.
- 2004 – Hamid Karzai became the first popularly elected president of Afghanistan.
People & Society
- 1931 – According to a report in 1982 would be ensured by sterilizing certain races by the Nazis.
- 1981 – A whooping $109 billion record deficit was predicted in 1982.
Disasters: Natural & Man-made
- 1703 – The southern part of Great Britain was struck with a powerful windstorm that killed 9,000. The gusting wind speed was around 120 mph (193 kmph).
- 1988 – The north-western part of Armenia witnessed a high-magnitude earthquake that destroyed many cities killed 25,000–50,000 and wounded 31,000–130,000.
Discoveries & Explorations
1972 – Eugene Andrew Cernan, the American astronaut commanded the very last crewed flight to the Moon. It was in effect finished the Apollo program.
Leisure & Sports
- 1936 – Jack Fingleton, the Australian cricketer scored a ton (100 runs) in each of four consecutive Test innings. He became the first cricketer in the world to do so.
Birth Anniversaries (7 December)
- 1598 – Gian Lorenzo Bernini (Italian artist)
- 1810 – Theodor Schwann (German Physiologist)
- 1863 – Pietro Mascagni (Italian Composer)
- 1932 – Ellen Burstyn (American actress)
- 1956 – Larry Bird (Basketball player from America)
- 1998 – Tony Yike Yang (Canadian pianist)
Death Anniversaries (7 December)
- 983 – Otto II (Roman Emperor)
- 1782 – Hyder Ali (Emperor of India)
- 1990 – Reinaldo Arenas (Cuban Writer)
- 2016 – Greg Lake (English musician)
What Special Day is Today: (7 December)
- International Civil Aviation Day
- Armed Forces Flag Day (India)
- Flag Base Day (Scientology)
- Spitak Remembrance Day (Armenia)
- National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day (United States)
The enchanting story of the day (7 December) leaves us in awe. What a day it is!
Many things have happened to the world. The transformation could be seen in the areas of the economy, science, and politics on this day in history.
We are continuously trying to provide you with all the important events that took place on different days.
Please write to us if you have any comments or suggestions.
On This Day:
31 December | 30 December | 29 December | 28 December | 27 December | 26 December | 25 December | 24 December | 23 December | 22 December | 21 December | 20 December | 19 December | 18 December | 17 December | 16 December | 15 December | 14 December | 13 December | 12 December | 11 December | 10 December | 9 December | 8 December | 6 December | 5 December | 4 December | 3 December | 2 December | 1 December