7 March: March 7 has been a potpourri of some of the most interesting events so, what happened on this day in history?
Want to know if it has any interesting events from the fields you like? Let’s unwrap to see what special day is today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 7 March
War and Justice
- 1936 – Nazi leader Adolf Hitler violated the Treaty of Versailles by sending German military forces into the Rhineland, a demilitarized zone along the Rhine River in western Germany.
- 1965 – Attack on civil rights march Alabama on 600 people with shotgun and tear gas grenades by troopers.
- 1977 – Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin visited the United States for the first time for peace talks.
- 1988 – IRA gang who were reported to have planted a 500lb car bomb near the British Governor’s residence shot dead in Gibraltar.
Art and Technology
- 1876 – Alexander Graham Bell received a patent for his revolutionary new invention – The Telephone.
- 1900 – The SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse by Norddeutscher Lloyd became the first ship to send wireless signals to shore in order to outdo its rival Hamburg America Line.
- 1926 – The first two-way transatlantic telephone took place between the post office in London and Bell Laboratories in New York using a short-wave radio signal.
- 1939 – “Auld Lang Syne” was recorded by Guy Lombardo and the Royal Canadians. It is still played at parties and celebrations to usher in the new year.
Birth Anniversaries (7 March)
- 1765 – Nicephore Niepce, French inventor who was the first to make a permanent photographic image, was born on this day.
- 1872 – Piet Mondrian, Dutch painter was born on this day.
- 1875 – Maurice Ravel, French composer was born on this day.
- 1902 – Heinz Rühmann, German actor was born on this day.
- 1944 – Townes Van Zandt, American singer-songwriter and guitarist born on this day.
Death Anniversaries (7 March)
- 1274 – Saint Thomas Aquinas, Italian priest, philosopher.
- 1952 – Paramahansa Yogananda, Indian Hindu monk, guru and yogi.
- 1961 – Bharat Ratna Govind Ballabh Pant, Indian freedom fighter.
- 1975 – Mikhail Bakhtin, Russian philosopher.
- 1999 – Stanley Kubrick, an American Filmmaker, died on this day in England at the age of 70. Noted for featuring characteristics of the dark side of humans, he is one of the most recognized film directors of the 1900s.
What Special Day is Today: 7 March
- Alexander Graham Bell Day is celebrated in Canada.
- Clean Monday – March 7, 2022 (Public Holiday in Greece)
- National Cereal Day is celebrated in the USA
We hope you have found this article interesting and wondered what special day is today.
This day has seen the rise of some great minds and actions. May this day be as special and great for all of you.
If you have any interesting facts to share or anything to add to the above list, please share it in the comments. We would love to hear from you.
On This Day:
31 March | 30 March | 29 March | 28 March | 27 March | 26 March | 25 March | 24 March | 23 March | 22 March | 21 March | 20 March | 19 March | 18 March | 17 March | 16 March | 15 March | 14 March | 13 March | 12 March | 11 March | 10 March | 9 March | 8 March | 6 March | 5 March | 4 March | 3 March | 2 March | 1 March