8 March: March 8 has been a potpourri of some of the interesting events, so what happened on this day in history?
Want to know if it has any interesting events from the fields you like? Let’s unwrap to see what special day is today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 8 March
- 1957 – Egypt reopened the Suez Canal which connects the Mediterranean and the Red Sea to international traffic.
- 1982 – The United States accused the Soviets of using poison gas in Afghanistan.
- 2006 – Iran said that it would continue its nuclear research program despite the U.N. actions against it.
- 2012 – Toyota recalled another 681,500 vehicles in the US, further hurting its reputation in the country.
Finance and Technology
- 1817 – The New York Stock Exchange was founded. The NYSE at 11 Wall Street in New York City is the world’s largest stock exchange.
- 1979 – The first ever compact disc (CD) was presented to the public. It was developed by Philips and Sony. The companies later collaborated to produce a standard format and CD players.
- 1985 – A car bomb in Beirut, Lebanon leaving 175 injured and 45 people dead.
- 2014 – Malaysian Flight MH370 went missing.
Birth Anniversaries (8 March)
- 1839 – Josephine Cochrane, American inventor of the commercially successful automatic dishwasher—was born on this day.
- 1841 – Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr., American jurist was born on this day.
- 1879 – Otto Hahn, German chemist and Nobel Prize laureate, was born on this day.
- 1907 – Konstantinos Karamanlis, Greek politician and the 3rd President of Greece, was born on this day.
Death Anniversaries (8 March)
- 1869 – Hector Berlioz, French composer.
- 1874 – Millard Fillmore, the 13th president of the United States.
- 1917 – Ferdinand von Zeppelin, German general and businessman.
- 1930 – William Howard Taft, American politician and the 27th President of the United States.
- 1942 – José Raúl Capablanca, Cuban chess player.
- 1999 – Joe DiMaggio, American baseball player.
What Special Day is Today: 8 March
- International Women’s Day
- United Nations Day for Women’s Rights and International Peace
We hope you have found this article interesting and wondered what special day is today.
This day has seen new beginnings, new changes and paved the way for an empowering time ahead. We also wish you all a very meaningful International Women’s Day. Let HER rise and shine.
If you have any interesting facts to share or anything to add to the above list, please share it in the comments. We would love to hear from you.
On This Day:
31 March | 30 March | 29 March | 28 March | 27 March | 26 March | 25 March | 24 March | 23 March | 22 March | 21 March | 20 March | 19 March | 18 March | 17 March | 16 March | 15 March | 14 March | 13 March | 12 March | 11 March | 10 March | 9 March | 7 March | 6 March | 5 March | 4 March | 3 March | 2 March | 1 March