9 December: In a year, the 9th of December is the 343rd day as per the Georgian Calendar. In a leap year, it is the 344th day of the year.
What special day is today?
On this day, The Supremes released their first music album; a fireball was spotted in the sky from Michigan to Pennsylvania; Tanganyika gained independence.
Famous birthdays include John Milton, Sonia Gandhi, and John Cassavetes.
December 9 also marks International Anti-Corruption Day (United Nations).
Let’s explore what happened today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 9 December
Art & Artists
- 1963 – The release of “Meet the Supremes” on this day. It was the first album made by the female vocalist group – The Supremes.
- 1965 – A Charlie Brown Christmas first broadcast on American TV. The holiday classic featured typical characters from cartoonist Charles Schulz’s popular comic strip – Peanuts.
Science & Technology
- 1965 – A fireball was spotted in the sky from Michigan to Pennsylvania. It was reported by the witnesses that they felt some kind of crashing in the forest located near Pittsburgh. The incident is known as the “Kecksburg UFO incident”.
- 1979 – The official announcement of the total eradication of the smallpox This success happened one decade after the launch of a global vaccination program against the disease by the World Health Organization.
Leaders & Politics
- 1824 – The Spanish royal army was defeated by the Revolutionary forces at the Battle of Ayacucho (Peru). Antonio Jose de Sucre from Venezuela was the leader of the revolutionaries.
- 1961 – Tanganyika gained independence on this day. Julius Nyerere became the first prime minister of Tanganyika. In 1964, Tanzania was formed uniting Zanzibar and Tanganyika.
People & Society
- 1868 – A gas-powered traffic light was put up near London’s Westminster Bridge. It was the world’s first such traffic lighting facility. However, after one month, the traffic facility was stalled after the explosion of one of the lights due to the leakage of gas.
- 1998 – The General Assembly of the UN (United Nations) officially announced that anti-Semitism should be treated as a form of racism.
Disasters: Natural & Man-made
- 1911 – Around 84 miners were killed in an explosion in a mine located near Briceville, Tennessee. The incident is known as the “Cross Mountain Mine Disaster”.
- 2016 – Two school girls turned suicide bombers attacked a bazaar situated in Madagali, Adamawa, Nigeria. The incident took 57 lives and injured at least 177.
Discoveries & Explorations
- 1884 – Patent was given to Levant Richardson for his ball0bearing fitted roller skates.
- 1924 – Trademark registration of Wrigley’s gum was done on this day.
- 1960 – A new and unique computer “Univac 1107” was revealed by Sperry Rand Corporation.
Leisure & Sports
- 1913 – No decision could be taken in the fight between the heavyweight fighters Jack Johnson and Jim which was held in Paris.
- 1936 – Don Bradman led Australian batters could amass only 98 runs in their second innings of the first test match against England. Bradman was out for a zero (duck).
Birth Anniversaries (9 December)
- 1608 – John Milton (English Poet)
- 1929 – Robert Hawke (23rd Prime Minister of Australia)
- 1929 – John Cassavetes (Actor- Director from America)
- 1934 – Judi Dench (British actress)
- 1946 – Sonia Gandhi (Indian politician)
Death Anniversaries (9 December)
- 1641 – Anthony van Dyck (Painter from Belgium)
- 1916 – Natsume Soseki (Japanese Novelist)
- 1968 – Nucky Johnson (American Politician)
- 1991 – Berenice Abbott (American Photographe)
What Special Day is Today: (9 December)
- International Anti-Corruption Day (United Nations)
- Navy Day (Sri Lanka)
- Fatherland’s Heroes Day (Russia)
- National Heroes Day (Antigua and Barbuda)
The chronicle of the day (9 December) uncovers many interesting facts related to politics, economy, science, technology, exploration, inventions, etc. happened on this day in history.
Multiple great personalities took birth, made news, or died on this day in history.
Hope you have enjoyed reading the article. But as our motto is to give you even better content, we need your candid feedback.
Please, do write to us.
On This Day:
31 December | 30 December | 29 December | 28 December | 27 December | 26 December | 25 December | 24 December | 23 December | 22 December | 21 December | 20 December | 19 December | 18 December | 17 December | 16 December | 15 December | 14 December | 13 December | 12 December | 11 December | 10 December | 8 December | 7 December | 6 December | 5 December | 4 December | 3 December | 2 December | 1 December