9 March: March 9 has been a remarkable day with an interesting turn of events, so what happened on this day in history?
Are you excited to know about the new inventions and political twists? Let’s unwrap to see what special day is today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 9 March
Debut, Science and Inventions
- 1931 – German physicist Ernst Ruska invented the microscope which allowed a resolution of 50 nanometers (billionths of a meter).
- 1959 – Barbie Doll makes its debut at the American Toy Fair in New York.
- 2011 – Space Shuttle Discovery completes its final mission. The shuttle touched down at Kennedy Space Center in Florida after its journey to the International Space Station (ISS).
People and Politics
- 1916 – Attack in New Mexico. Several hundred Mexican guerrillas under the command of Francisco “Pancho” Villa crossed the U.S.-Mexican border and attacked the small border town of Columbus, New Mexico.
- 1933 – The Emergency Banking Act was submitted by President Franklin Roosevelt to Congress to ease the run on small banks.
- 1973 – People voted to remain within the United Kingdom in a referendum in Northern Ireland over the future of the province.
- 2009 – President Obama ended restrictions on stem cell research.
- 2011 – Illinois Abolished Death Penalty and became the sixteenth state in the United States to do so.
Birth Anniversaries (9 March)
- 1454 – Italian merchant, explorer, and navigator Amerigo Vespucci was born on this day. ‘America’ is named after him.
- 1890 – Vyacheslav Molotov, Soviet politician and the Minister of Foreign Affairs for the Soviet Union.
- 1915 – Johnnie Johnson, English pilot.
- 1934 – Yuri Gagarin, Russian pilot and astronaut who was the first person to travel into space—was born on this day.
- 1943 – Bobby Fischer, American chess player.
Death Anniversaries (9 March)
- 1825 – Anna Laetitia Barbauld, English poet, author and critic. She was renowned as an educator and a literary critic as well as a poet.
- 1947 – Carrie Chapman Catt, American Women’s Rights Activist.
- 1992 – Menachem Begin, Israeli politician, the 6th Prime Minister of Israel and Nobel Prize laureate.
- 1994 – Charles Bukowski, American poet.
- 1996 – George Burns, American actor.
- 1997 – Christopher George Latore Wallace (The Notorious B.I.G.), American rapper was assassinated on this day.
What Special Day is Today: 9 March
- National Meatball Day and National Panic Day are celebrated in the U.S.
- Registered Dietitian Day – March 9, 2022 (Second Wednesday in March)
- No Smoking Day (U.K.) – March 9, 2022 (Second Wednesday in March)
We hope you have found this article fascinating and found out what special day is today.
This day has seen new beginnings, new changes and paved the way for an empowering time ahead. We wish you all an amazing day ahead too.
If you have any interesting facts to share or anything to add to the above list, please share it in the comments. We would love to hear from you.
On This Day:
31 March | 30 March | 29 March | 28 March | 27 March | 26 March | 25 March | 24 March | 23 March | 22 March | 21 March | 20 March | 19 March | 18 March | 17 March | 16 March | 15 March | 14 March | 13 March | 12 March | 11 March | 10 March | 8 March | 7 March | 6 March | 5 March | 4 March | 3 March | 2 March | 1 March