9 November: In a year, the 9th of November is the 313th day as per the Georgian Calendar. In a leap year, it is the 314th day of the year. What special day is today? This day has its distinctiveness and importance in history.
Let’s explore people who have carved a niche for themselves on 9th November. We may also need to scan through the events that what happened today.
What Happened Today? On This Day in History: 9 November
Art & Artists
- 1968 – Joe Cocker’s adapted Beatles song reached the number one position in the UK. The song was “With a little help from my friends”.
- 1984 – Release of “Wes Craven” directed “A Nightmare on Elm Street” in American theatres.
- 2015 – “Reclining Nude” by Italian painter and sculptor Modigliani get the second highest auction price, a whopping amount of $170.4m.
Science & Technology
- 1922 – Albert Einstein was nominated to get Noble Prize for the year 1921.
- 1967 – Appolo 4 test spacecraft (unmanned) was launched by NASA.
- 1994 – Darmstadtium, a chemical component discovered.
- 2004 – Release of popular internet browser Fire 1.0.
Leaders & Politics
- 1900 – With 100,000 troops Russia ended its effort for occupying Manchuria.
- 1953 – Cambodia became independent ending French rule.
- 1989 – Fall of the Berlin Wall between the then West Germany and East Germany.
People & Society
- 1888 – End of the killing spree of the infamous killer Jack the Ripper in London’s Whitechapel district.
- 1907 – The largest diamond in the world “Cullinan” was gifted to King Edward VII.
- 2019 – Kartarpur Corridor opened between India and Pakistan.
Disasters: Natural & Man-made
- 1963 – A coal mine explosion in Miike, Japan in which 458 were killed and 839 hospitalized.
- 1973 – Fire at a departmental store in Kumamoto in which 101 were killed and 839 injured.
Discoveries & Explorations
- 1967 – Surveyor 6 spacecraft reached Moon.
- 2005 – Launch of the Venus Express by the European Space Agency in Kazakhstan (Baikonur Cosmodrome).
Leisure & Sports
- 1985 – Garry Kasparov became the youngest chess player to clinch the World Chess Championship. At 22 he beat compatriot Anatoly Karpov.
- 1985 – Richard Hadlee, the New Zealander cricket legend took 9 wickets for 52 runs against archrival Australia
- 1996 – In a technical knockout Evander Holyfield beat Mike Tyson to win his 3rd title in the heavyweight boxing championship.
Birth Anniversaries (9 November)
- 1535 – Nanda Bayin (Burmese King)
- 1801 – Gail Borden (Publisher and surveyor from America)
- 1873 – Otfrid Foerster (Neurologist- surgeon from German)
- 1914 – Hedy Lamarr (American actress, born in Austria)
- 1922 – Dorothy Dandridge (Singer-actress from America)
Death Anniversaries (9 November)
- 1917 – Harry Trott (Cricketer from Australia)
- 1942 – Charles Courtney Curran (Painter from America)
- 1953 – Dylan Thomas (Poet from Britain)
- 2004 – Stieg Larsson (Writer from Sweden)
What Special Day is Today: (9 November)
- World Adoption Day
- World Freedom Day (United States)
- Flag Day (Azerbaijan)
- Inventor’s Day (Austria, Germany, Switzerland)
- Uttarakhand Day (Uttarakhand, India)
The factual story of the day (9 November) covers the entire globe and a lot of well-known personalities. The day has remained a silent observer of what happened on this day in history.
Providing our readers with authentic facts and figures, for each day, is what boosts us here.
We would love to hear from you. We request you drop your feedback on the article. If you have any rare information like the above, then do share it with us.
On This Day:
30 November | 29 November | 28 November | 27 November | 26 November | 25 November | 24 November | 23 November | 22 November | 21 November | 20 November | 19 November | 18 November | 17 November | 16 November | 15 November | 14 November | 13 November | 12 November | 11 November | 10 November | 8 November | 7 November | 6 November | 5 November | 4 November | 3 November | 2 November | 1 November